Anti-virus software.

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I am looking for recommendations on an anti-virus utility that meets the following criteria:

1. Free
2. Works with Windows Server 2003 x64
3. Rad

This will be for a server I recently installed on my personal LAN. Thanks.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Try Avast. They have an XP x64 version, but I don't know if it will run on Server 2003 x64.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    Unless Avast has changed the free edition won't run on servers, nor will AVG's. You can hack clamAV to run on windows, but it's not really a proactive AV scanner in the same sense that Avast or AVG are.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    There's really no free solution for server 2003. :-/
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I had reached, but I was hoping I was wrong.
    edited November 2007
    ClamWin is working so far and I think I like it. Clean technical interface, claims to get the job done, we'll see. Anybody else tried it?
    edited November 2007
    I've run ClamAV before on windows boxes and it works well for just doing system scans. But it's not a proactive scanner. It won't scan incoming/outgoing emails on it's own or files as they are being openned etc... There are some ways you can get it to do a few of those things, but it's not really made to do it and they are hacks.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007

Yes- many of these companies that have free anti-virus for the general public (like Grisoft) make their money selling enterprise solutions- a category Server 2003 falls under. Sorry- no joy.
    edited November 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    I've run ClamAV before on windows boxes and it works well for just doing system scans. But it's not a proactive scanner. It won't scan incoming/outgoing emails on it's own or files as they are being openned etc... There are some ways you can get it to do a few of those things, but it's not really made to do it and they are hacks.

ClamWin is based off of ClamAV but adds support for scheduling, automatic updates, and also scans incoming/outgoing email. It is still not a true real-time scanner, but supposedly that will be added sometime in the near future. This server is going to function primarily as a file/print server and potentially a domain controller, and I think I should be OK with daily scheduled scans. At least until I find something better.
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    ClamWin is based off of ClamAV but adds support for scheduling, automatic updates, and also scans incoming/outgoing email. It is still not a true real-time scanner, but supposedly that will be added sometime in the near future. This server is going to function primarily as a file/print server and potentially a domain controller, and I think I should be OK with daily scheduled scans. At least until I find something better.

As long as your OK with it. I'm not questioning the quality of Clam, I have it running on all my *nix boxes. Just saying that when it comes to windows, it's got limits compared to a full time scanner like Avast, AVG etc.... If your happy with it and understand that it's great and it's definitions are fantastic.