Asus? never again.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
What a headache. I installed my 'old' motherboard into my sons PC with a new x2 CPU. I had to format, reinstall windows etc, no problem. Then I wanted the chipset drivers, what a joke. When I eventually found them I had to download each bit separately. Just loading the Asus web site took an age but each download took even longer. It took about an hour to get them, it was so slow. I got Nvidia drivers at the same time, they took about 10 seconds. I though the support from Asus was so bad (finding then getting) that I will not be getting Asus again. When I entered the boards number originally the site told me there was no data for it! the disc that came with it had a flys footprint on it so that refused to work, this for a board that's just two years old. Never again!
[end rant]

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Asus seems to be in a negative trend concerning both product reliability and customer support. I'm reading rumblings throughout the tech media that I wasn't seeing two and three years ago.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Why would you go to the mfgr site for the chipset drivers when going to the chipset mfgr is faster, and always more up to date?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    ...I'd do the same. I didn't realize there was an alternative.

Company A makes my board, I'd expect company A to make the drivers readily available. They sent me a CD with them on it originally, afterall.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    Ignorance really. I knew I wanted the chipset drivers, I also wanted audio drivers and probably something else. What I really wanted was a set like I got on the CD that'd take care of everything.
    edited November 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    ...I'd do the same. I didn't realize there was an alternative.

Company A makes my board, I'd expect company A to make the drivers readily available. They sent me a CD with them on it originally, afterall.

They sent you a CD because the various chip manufacturers sent drivers to them. Chain of command; go to the source.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Downloads from Asus have been a crawl since I can even remember. I've felt your frustration Bothered and have been doing what Thrax said for years now.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Sometimes it's much easier to get the drivers from a single point - Asus in this case, than from multiple points. Sometimes the chip sites, Realtek for instance, might be a real pain, whereas Asus is one-stop shopping. I've always had a relatively easy time getting all the necessary Asus board drivers from the Asus site. I may though, have hopped around between the regional sites until I found one that was faster than cold molasses.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I may though, have hopped around between the regional sites until I found one that was faster than cold molasses.

That is true and have done the same when I had to Leo. It's just too bad that you have to go through that in the first place.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Onboard audio drivers are maddening to find anywhere other than the motherboard manufacturer's site. Network drivers are only a little bit easier most of the time. :-/ And sometimes they have motherboard specific drivers such as Cool n Quiet, etc. that are hard or unintuitive to find elsewhere.

Chipset, yes, I always go to the chipset manufacturer.. But the rest of the motherboard stuff, it is way easier to go to the motherboard company's site. Asus has always been brutally slow, but I tend to use their FTP directly through CuteFTP and it seems to be faster most of the time.
    edited November 2007
    The reason I will not buy Asus again is due to the poor support. I expect to be able to get at least the same software as on the disc from their site without all the hassle and waiting. If they cannot be bothered to make it available to me I shall vote with my feet. Customer service is a sign of how much you mean to them and I like to reciprocate.
    edited November 2007
    I don't mean to nitpick, but I can't think of <i>any</i> motherboard manufacturer that provides that on their website.
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I don't mean to nitpick, but I can't think of <i>any</i> motherboard manufacturer that provides that on their website.

Yeah but, you know what I mean. At least it would be nice to have some sort of support. I mean it was a struggle.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I agree with you bothered. It shouldn't be a struggle to find what is needed to make the product you bought work correctly.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    The ASUS support forums are a Joke, but once you get through to tech support they have been excellent in my experience. Mind you that was on a socket 939 board so not very recent.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Why would you go to the mfgr site for the chipset drivers ...?

Simple- it's nice to have one-stop shopping. Actually, when doing OS reinstalls, I always have my mobo drivers CD on hand (DON'T throw that thing away unless you make your own!) just to get the system jump-started. I would prefer not going to the chipset'rs as it is a lot more digging- however, as Thrax says, it's still the best way to stay current. My only suggestion is that you avoid "beta" drivers unless you're sure of them as I had a couple of "beta"s major dork up my system.