My new computer..

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
<s>Well, I broke down and bought...a Dell.:o

I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a bad deal. But I couldn't pass it up. Here's what I got:

E6550 C2D
2 GB 800MHz DDR2
500 GB HDD
256MB 8600 GT
24" Wide screen Monitor
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers

For $1700, and I get 20% off paypal supposedly that will be credited on Jan 30, and a $200 gift card.
</s>

EDIT, Nevermind. I just canceled the order. the more I though about it the less I wanted the dell. I realized dell was ripping me pretty good.

Now, I need some help picking parts.

Here's what I have on newegg right now:

Case: CoolerMaster Centurion
Power Supply: Hiper 580W Modular PSU
Motherboard: ASUS P5K
Processor: Intel E6550
Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR21066 2GB
Video card: XFX 8600GT
Sound card: HT Omega Striker
Hard Drive: WD 500GB
Optical: ASUS 20x DVD-RW
Monitor: Westinghouse 24" Glossy
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300

Total: $1455.99

I'm looking for suggestions on components. Or if you want to make an entire build go ahead. The budget is ~$1500.
I really want a 24" monitor :D, but...if need be...
I was thinking I could get a cooler and oc the 6550 to get some extra power. The board needs to be quad core compatible, because I want an upgrade path.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    You should of looked at Ibuypower their prices are way better compared to dell :D
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2007
    go corsair for the power supply. its like $35 extra for the 520hx but its sooo worth it I have the 620hx and love it. For the monitor I would look at the Dell E248WFP I think its a little bit better monitor and only $10 more. Also last thing get the antec 900 you will be a lot happier in the long run.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Echo on the Corsair. Excellent PSU. Top quality. HiPer has an excellent reputation. Thrax will be here very soon to tell you it's a good choice.

Don't even think about that Centurion case unless you won't be overclocking or heavy gaming. (or are willing to modify it) The intake is only a pipsqueak 80mm fan. I have one. It houses my System No. 5. I heavily modified it with a 120mm intake, window, and a couple other things. Apart from the intake, it is though, an excellent case for it's size. It's very well designed, attractive, very sturdy, quite roomy considering it's outside dimensions, and has top-to-bottom air filtration on the front (a BIG plus for me). What you can do is simply set up a 120mm fan right below the optical drive in the empty bay. The drive bay's toolless design is simply the best I've seen in any case. Change a hard drive in about 60 seconds. I've done it many times. If you will have too many drives to mount a 120mm behind the bezel, don't even think about the Centurian, unless they have been redesigned for a larger intake fan.

I've had my eye on that Westinghouse 24" monitor as well. Have you been able to see it hooked up on a digital connection? I have only seen them on the multi-unit AGP hubs at the stores. All the monitors look like crap connected to those things. The Westinghouse is so relatively inexpensive, it makes me wonder if you are only getting what you pay for? I honestly don't know.

If you won't be overclocking, that RAM is way overkill. You probably wouldn't notice the difference from decent quality DDR2 800.

The fact that you haven't listed an aftermarket CPU heatsink leads me to believe you'll be living the system at stock speed. That's just fine. Not everyone is warped about overclocking like I am. It's a psychological condition.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'm gonna be doing some overclocking, but not right away. And I'm gonna switch to the Antec 900 seeing as I can grab it so cheap with rebate from newegg.

I also had my eye on the BenQ monitor, but my budget is around that pricerange.
    edited December 2007
    The Antec 900 is superb. The Centurion would be a very, very good case if it just had a reasonable fan slot in the front. The toolless drive system is probably the best I've seen in a case. It's like CoolerMaster took two designs and jammed them together - one very smart and very new, and the other outdated.
    edited December 2007
    I was really looking for suggestions on motherboards. I know thrax usually has a pretty good idea on what's number one.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2007
    What options on the board are you looking for? Any manufacturer preferences? Is there any reason you chose a MATX board?
    edited December 2007
    DOH! didn't mean to.

I'm just looking for an ATX board that will be stable and a good over clocker. Other than that features beyond the norm aren't all that important. I have my own video and sound so....
    edited December 2007
    Beyond the norm? Not sure what you mean by that. To some, the norm is IDE RAID plus SATA RAID, Gigabit LAN, and Firewire.

Andy, I am very impressed with the Abit IP35-E. It's well made, very stable, and a potent overclocker as well. I'm running two of them. The onboard passive cooling is also very good. It runs $20-$40 less than it's competition and performs just as well.

You might get 100MHz more out of a top end Asus, Gigabyte, or Abit, but when the OC is already 1000MHz, another 100MHz doesn't matter much.