MSI K8NGM2 no longer POSTS

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I think I have about exhausted every possibility to troubleshoot this but maybe someone can think of something I've missed. This is out of a media center PC, micro ATX with a slide out mobo tray. I swapped out working RAM with a compatible but faster set of working RAM but when I reassembled, the sys won't boot or POST though all fans fire up. I was wearing a electrostatic wrist strap and did not detect any spark in the whole process but the power supply did snag my video card when the mobo tray was slid out. Here's what I have tried to troubleshoot:

1. Put old RAM back in = won't POST
2. Tested video card in another system = Good
3. Replaced power supply = won't POST
4. Reset CMOS = won't POST
6. Replaced processor with working spare = won't POST
7. Removed Mobo from case and tested with only video card, RAM, and of course processor = won't POST and NO BEEPS! NONE!! Also, no beeps with video card or RAM removed.

Me thinks the mobo is toast. Have I overlooked anything? :/

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    That's not a bad job of troubleshooting. I think you could be correct.

However, I'm not sure of your system (what is it? BIY? Model?).
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    This is one of my own builds. It's a micro cube PC I assembled for multimedia and gaming a little over a year ago. Pretty simple build: MSI mobo with MSI PCIe 7600 video card, 80 gig SATA, FD, Lite-on DVD-RW, Jaypac case w 450W PS, A64 3200 though I just bought an Opteron 180 as an upgrade, XP Home. I figure I might as well RMA the mobo to MSI as I am all out of ideas and it still has a year of warranty-parts only.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Me thinks the mobo is toast.
    Excuse me while I look for my bugle to play taps. Your troubleshooting looks good. Dangit, if that doesn't make three of us doing the same set of troubleshooting steps this week! I just lost a board, too, after a Craigslist buyer monkeyed with it....

but that's another story.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Contacted MSI Tech support and unexpectedly got an RMA number almost immediately. The janitor there must have noticed my request while making his rounds over the weekend and took pity on me.

Thanks for the confirmatory thoughts folks; we'll call this mobo deceased. For now, I am moving on to invent new problems for myself.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    For now, I am moving on to invent new problems for myself.
    I took that course, too.