Arctic Silver 5 vs. Tuniq TX-2

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
So, how does Tuniq TX-2 compare to Arctic Silver 5? Had you even heard of Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste?

Two or three months ago I purchased a syringe of TX-2 when I made an online purchase of some other parts. I had seen a couple reviews that were positive about TX-2, one of them giving it the edge in thermal dissipation over Arctic Silver 5. Well, always interested in cooling options, I thought I'd give it a try. At first I was just using TX-2 on northbridge, southbridge, and video card sinks. I really liked how easily it installed. It has a consistency that makes it very easy to install on chips.

The last few weeks I've been occupied with rebuilding and overclocking three home machines. When I put them together, I used AS5 on the CPU heatsinks as AS5 to me was trusted and true. I knew what to expect - very good performance. This weekend, having read a couple newer reviews on TX-2 that I had not seen before, I decided to test it on CPU heatsinks.

I am IMPRESSED. Tuniq TX-2 cut 2*C off full load temperatures on the three CPUs I tested - Systems 1, 4, and 5 in my signature. The temperature difference was immediate. There was no 'curing' time and thermal cycling as is required with Arctic Silver.

Before you ask:

Ambient temperature was constant throughout temperature measurements for all three machines with TX-2 and AS5. Temperature measurements were made in Windows using Core Temp after running two clients of Folding@Home Windows SMP for a minimum of half an hour.

The Arctic Silver 5 was applied exactly as specified at the Arctic Silver website. On all three computers, the AS5 had gone through the necessary curing time (over a week) and each computer had several thermal cycles during that time period.

I am now SOLD on TX-2.

I cannot comment on idle temperatures. I never run any of my computers at idle. Besides, if a computer runs at idle, what is the point of using premium thermal interface material?

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Idle...no load.....

these terms are unfamilar.

I havn't seen a computer idle in about four years. This damn FAH project is a sickness ! :zombie: Maybe we should be folding for a cure from this ?

just kidding

Good info Leo . My syringe of AS5 is just about gone, I think I will try the TX-2 next.

Scott
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'm not seeing illusions. The machines have been at full load now for several hours after the TX-2 application. I keep a spreadsheet for overclocking settings and double checked the temperatures history. One of the columns is core temperatures. Actually, one of the computers is running 3*C lower than before.