Help! PSU missing parts??

edited December 2007 in Hardware
I am upgrading my system and am in the middle of installing my PSU (Nspire X-extreme 600W) and just realized that it didn't come with a 12V 4-pin (square) cable. This confuses me because my old power supply (Ultra X-connect 500W) had the 12V cable, but this may have been because it only had a 20-pin ATX cable instead a 24-pin cable like my new PSU.

Why would this cable not be included in the packaging? Can I still run my Intel Core2 Duo without it? Are a lot of PSU's not coming with the 12V cable now or is this odd that it doesn't have it?

Any help would be great because I don't want to fire up my computer without this cable in case it could cause some damage. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If it doesn't havea 4-pin, it should have a 8-pin right?
  • edited December 2007
    If it doesn't havea 4-pin, it should have a 8-pin right?

Yes it does! And as I look close it seems as if I can pull it apart on one end revealing a 4-pin connection. I'm assuming this is the 12V cable I couldn't find, right?

Why would it originally have 8-pins before I pulled it apart? Do some boards have an 8-pin 12V connector instead of a 4-pin one?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Do some boards have an 8-pin 12V connector instead of a 4-pin one?

Yes.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I can pull it apart on one end revealing a 4-pin connection. I'm assuming this is the 12V cable I couldn't find, right?
    Right! Use it in the position where the "P4" connector goes.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    This should be mentioned in a small manual of the psu or the manufacturers website should have something about it.
  • edited December 2007
    Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it. Now that I have my computer up and running I have ran into another problem, if you guys can help me with that also that would be super. Here it is:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67655
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    a 4 pin that can be an 8 pin depending on what mb you got
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    are the quadro family as good as i think they are?.i know they are for architectural work and accelerated graphics and not games but iv never been lucky enough to be in the same room as one.also are they worth the money?thanks
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Quadros are designed for and work best with professional drafting and designing software where absolute precision is critical. For most other uses, garden variety (and much less expensive) video cards are just as good. Quadros are marketed for professionals in computer aided design, manufacturing, and engineering.