I needs a motherboard...

edited December 2007 in Hardware
So with the new build, I'm starting to look for a new mobo, but have no idea what is awesome anymore. I'm looking for a board that has some oc room on it (will be using a Q6600). I only need one PCIX16 slot. If you folks need to know anything else ask and I'll do my best. Ohh and price does play a small role in this....

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    To hold you over until you get what Thrax is getting, I have a GA-P35-DS3R. Cheap, overclocks extremely well, and is well built IMO.
  • edited December 2007
    What ram are you using in yours? I want ddr2 1066, but only certain ones evidently work with it?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    2x1GB of OCZ Platinum PC2-8000
  • edited December 2007
    Isn't the mobo compatible with much peppier ram than that though?
  • edited December 2007
    Nevermind I'm dumb...I'd much rather to be able to get ddr2 800 Reaper in comparison to the value ram available at 1066...I'm dumb.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Value 1066 is going to be faster than Reaper 800...
  • edited December 2007
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant it being better for OC'ing...but could you look on this and see what you think the best 1066 on it is?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-p35-ds3r.pdf

I'm afraid to get unsupported ram as it might not work...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Forget supported RAM. Supported RAM means a memory firm paid gigabyte to get on that list.

Memory tops out at 1066 these days anyways. There are extreme 1200MHz DDR2 chips, but they're very expensive. Just get 1066.
  • edited December 2007
    So just buy the 1066 gaming ram and hope for the best?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 is a great kit for the $. Uses D9GKX and overclocks very well.

Take a look at the Asus P5K-E as well. It is a great board for the buck. It overclocks really well and has vdroop damping also.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I replied in your other thread, but I'll put it here as well. If you don't need the add-ons (luxuries) such as second Gigabit LAN port, second PCI-e video slot, and RAID, take a good look at the Abit IP35-E. For overclocking, it will keep up with boards much more expensive. It also runs beautifully at default settings. I've got two of them and would buy two more of them tomorrow were I looking to build two more hot rod quad systems.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to reccomend a P5N-E SLi- It's got 2 PCI-E slots but it's a good mobo tbh. It supports up to Quad Core extreme and will go up to 1066 afaik (mine's at 1066 :P) 4 RAM slots, 2 PCI slots and that's all I can remember off the top of my head... Got this one for £75