cheap motherboard for c2d

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I'm looking for a cheap motherboard for c2d that has minimal oc support. I need to be able to change the fsb from 200->400. Don't need anything in between ;). Strongly desired but not necessary is a little vcore adjustment. Icing on the cake would be onboard video.

Last feature: as cheap as possible.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    DFI BloodIron.

How about 200 -> 500. ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    eh. my cpu won't go that far above 400. Are there cheaper boards that wouldn't overclock to 500, but would get me to 400 just fine?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thrax knows what's coming next:

Leo recommends the Abit EP35-E. Rock solid, great overclocker (or just default frequencies), and very inexpensive. Much less expensive than the Bloody 9 Iron or Asus P5K-E.

Not sure what you mean by "boards that wouldn't overclock to 500, but would get me to 400 just fine." All of the boards mentioned so far in this thread have FSB/memory dividers so you can dial in DRAM frequencies suited for your memory. You can go great Gonzo with overclock and leave your RAM close to spec if you wish.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    my e2140 won't go over 405 fsb, regardless of what multi I try to run it at. If there are cheap motherboards that would do 8x400, but wouldn't be able to run the fsb any higher, that would be just fine with me.

i'm looking at this right now:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079

it has the advantage of onboard video, minimal voltage adjustment, and it looks like it shouldn't have a problem running 1:1 for me. My goal is to just run at 8x400, put linux on it, and stow it away in a corner as a folder/fileserver/etc. (and get a q6600 to replace the e2140 from my desktop)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    What about the MSI P-35 Neo2-FR
    No video, but runs fast and cost effective.
    http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3169
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I would want to see overclocking results for that board were I to make a recommendation on it. MSI does not have a reputation for overclocking. Certainly they are good motherboards, but not know for high performance. DFI, Asus, and Abit are known for overclocking. I've never put together a DFI system, but Asus, Abit, and MSI I have.