PSU Recomendation

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited December 2007 in Hardware
He there,

I need to buy a new PSU for a second rig I am putting together. My main rig has a reasonably cheap Jeantech PSU so I am going to take that and put it in my second rig and get a new one for my main rig.

I am looking for a 500-600w Modular PSU as that I can use to over clock. I don't really know who are the big names in PSU technology or what to avoid.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Thermaltake makes a mean powersupply, and I've used an Aspire (Apeiva or whever now) 500 watt that's still going strong. I don't overclock because it's just not something that appeals to me anymore.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    If you are looking for modular, check out the Corsair HX620. Its an excellent PSU. If you can deal without the modular features, the VX550 and TX series PSUs are great.

Also, take a look at offerings from Seasonic and Silverstone as well.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    I did look at the corsair tx series as I know they do good mem but wasn't sure about their PSU. What are Gigabyte like? they seem to have some reasonably priced stuff.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    Corsair does not make their own PSUs. The VX 550 and TX 750 models are made by CWT and are actually very good quality. I have a VX 550 and I'm very happy with it. Take a look at johnnyguru's review of it: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=135
  • edited December 2007
    I'll also chime up on Corsair's quality of their psu's. I own the HX620, VX550 and VX450 myself. Like LL said, the VX550 and TX750 are built by Channelwell Technologies to Corsair's specs and the VX450, HX520, and HX620 are all built for Corsair by Seasonic, also to Corsair's specs. All use high quality Japanese 105 C rated capacitors and they warrant their psu's for 5 years, which is better than most.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Corsair is expensive but is excellent quality. Thermalright PSUs, from what I've read, seem to have stable voltage lines, but may have a spotty reliability record. They are certainly less expensive than Corsair. Most people that have them seem to be pleased.

I've also had great performance out of the Antec's I've owned (many). I've got two computers running Antec 430W PSUs, both with 1GHz overclocks. Some people say Antec's quality has slipped from what it used to be. I don't know about that. I don't know if Antec is making modular model or not. If you want a 'clean' case interior though, modular is definitely worth the extra cost.
    edited December 2007
    That's a sweet power supply there...Now that's an idea to put in my FX.
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    depends on what you have in the way of cash..Antec truepower trio tp3-650w.this can support two 8800gts cards in sli or two anything.a 120mm intake fan but its qwiete and cheap at £75.00..[yo yo tech]or a 550 antec neopower for £66.00,.or buy 1 for life like the enermax galaxy egx1000ewl price £225.00 [1000wt though]and it now supports both 6 and 8 pin pci-e gc..its 1kw of stable power.www.scan or overclockers or yo yo ok
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    or buy 1 for life
    Life= until power specifications and power connectors change significantly, which is only a couple years in the computer world
    edited December 2007
    depends on what you have in the way of cash..Antec truepower trio tp3-650w.this can support two 8800gts cards in sli or two anything.a 120mm intake fan but its qwiete and cheap at £75.00..[yo yo tech]or a 550 antec neopower for £66.00,.or buy 1 for life like the enermax galaxy egx1000ewl price £225.00 [1000wt though]and it now supports both 6 and 8 pin pci-e gc..its 1kw of stable power.www.scan or overclockers or yo yo ok

I wonder if English is spoken where he comes from....
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    Only thing I can say is that if you want a quiet and cooler system buy one of the new high efficiency power supplies with active thermal control

http://64.233.179.110/blog_resources/PSU_white_paper.pdf
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if English is spoken where he comes from....

In the world of modern technology it is actullay possible for people from non english speaking countries to be online :wink:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will prob go for one of the Corsairs