memory required for dedicated smp client?

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Folding@Home
I'm gonna set up a dedicated smp folder - how much memory do I need? I'm not sure if i'm gonna go windows or linux without a gui, but we'll see.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    512 should be fine if all it's going to do is fold I guess...
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I would recommend a gig. SMP has high memory demands and generally pulls 512Mb at the min. With windows and a few appz you can be just under 800Mb easily.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    1gb minimum
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2007
    My Quad systems takes 785mb right now doing nothing but 2 SMP clients. I could cut that down a little but not anywhere close to 512. Besides you can easily get a nice set of RAM for less than $50.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    With todays prices, i wouldn't buy anything less than 2X1GB. 2X512 is probably the same price i guess. I run vista so it isn't a dedicated folder per se, even if it folds 24/7, but Vista and 2 instanses of SMP takes up the better part of 2gb. Sad but true.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    1GB will handle SMP single or double client. You could probably get away with 512MB for a single SMP client with NOTHING else running, but you've have precious little physical memory headroom.

Swede made a good point though. If you have to purchase RAM, might as well get 2 X 1GB as it is rock bottom prices these days. If you already have the memory I understand your question.