PSU Shopping

edited December 2007 in Hardware
I have an Antec 900 case with 4 large case fans, K8N Master 2 FAR-7 mobo,
2 x opteron 1.4 processors, a geForce 8800GT video card, a SATA hard drive, a DVD-ROM drive and a CD/RW drive. Since installing the video card, I've been getting lockups which I've attributed to insufficient power. (I'm currently using a 360W PSU) MSI recommends an EPS power supply for the K8N Master. How much juice should I have for more current configuration with additional power if I decided to drop in another 8800GT or something else down the road. I'd rather buy one now rather than get another one later on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'd look for a quality 550-650W model. You could get along just fine with less, but some headroom is always advisable.
  • edited December 2007
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Quite a bit. You could run that system with headroom on a good 580.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2007
    I added these two to my wishlist for next year ^___^

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, ULC, CE, CB, RoHS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Add the Seasonic X900 to your wish list, it's a very good psu
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Expensive overkill. Good quality - yes, but not much benefit for the extra expense, at least for Dracarnion.

EDIT: OK, looks like I spoke too soon. Apparently it's not so expensive.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    This will sound partly biased since i work for the company that produces and sell PC Power&Cooling gear, but i was very troubleminded about the silencer before i got it due to the 80mm fan. To my surprise, it is indeed the most quiet high-powered psu i have tested. I also think that you with a dual cpu config, would benefit from a one-rail unit. The price of the 750 silencer in the US is the same price as your run-of-the-mill 6-700W here in europe.

I wouldn't buy anything else than the Silencer 750 if i could get it for the same price here.

And a question to the others here: Why is a 750W so much overkill when a 580W is not? I am almost sure that the 750W will draw LESS power than your 580W at the same load and system.
  • edited December 2007
    I wouldn't buy anything else than the Silencer 750 if i could get it for the same price here.

Thanks for your response. Do you think the 750 would suit my needs even if I decided to add another 8800GT one day? Would it just barely be enough or more than enough? Why is one rail better than 3?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The problem with several 12V rails is that each component in a system draws a lot of amps. Many multi-rail psu's have a limit on each rail that is close to what a overclocked modern cpu pulls, or an overclocked modern videocard pulls. This is usually the reason why you can see a 500W multi rail psu on its knee when a single rail 400W psu goes on forever on the same system. This is not a rule of thumb though, just generally speaking. You can easily draw 2 8800 GT with that unit and still have headroom left.

Wattage on a psu is really secondary. Check how much 12V a unit can power, and crosscheck with the rest of your components. Chose the psu that has the best efficiency. If the price difference is within your range, always choose the unit that has more efficiency according to reviews and tests. Stay away from reviews that only checks hardware monitors when they review psu's. Many brands have moved up several notches lately when it comes to good psu's. Some are a little cheaper than others. It's just a matter of taste and the little extra you might get in terms of support etc.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Well said.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2007
    My vote also goes to the Silencer 750... cause I have one! :)

Its a Seasonic design, high efficient PSU. It has ALL the connectors you will EVER need and plenty of power on the 12v line.

If your budget lets you, go for it, you wont be desappointed. ;)
  • edited December 2007
    I would also vote for the Silencer 610 or Silencer 750. Seasonic (the actual oem of those 2 units) knows how to make quality power supplies that are efficient and have low ripple even at high loads. Normally I would include the Corsair HX620 psu too, but the Silencers are a better value right now.

Another psu you might consider is this Rosewill 850 psu. Here is a review on the Rosewill 750 and 850 by madmat on the JonnyGURU website and for a house brand psu it looks to be a real winner on a modern 12v heavy system. Rosewill is Newegg's house brand name and according to the review, both units are actually manufactured by ATNG. The best part is the bargain price, at around $125 for an 850 watt psu. Efficiency is pretty good on both psu's too, at 80% or above except at very low loads (unrealistically low, IMO) and when at an extreme 3.3/5v heavy crossload, which you won't have on a modern system.