Problem - Please help!

2»

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    That's bogus, I thought everyone had a power supply tester. Mine was made by Antec, I recommend getting one regardless if you plan to replace anything. That will tell you more than the answer, since decent PSU testers will tell you if anything is too low or too high, and all that good stuff. Every PC problem I run into outside of the stuff I do on purpose (My gear) that is hardware related, I always test the PSU.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    Went and got an Antec psu tester. PSU is fine.

So, I suppose this narrows it down to the mobo?
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, if it's not beeping at all.
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, if it's not beeping at all.

I don't have the little internal speaker.
    edited December 2007
    Is anyone able to explain why if my motherboard is possibly dead my peripherals (wifi card/mouse/cpu fan/chipset fan) are able to get power? This perplexes me!

Could anything else cause my monitor to not receive a signal.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Is the monitor plugged in? (I don't have a clue tbh :S) The only thing I can suggest is repeatedly pressing the power button on the monitor, for me and a couple others in genuinely worked :S Although here I doubt that'll work
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    Is the monitor plugged in? (I don't have a clue tbh :S) The only thing I can suggest is repeatedly pressing the power button on the monitor, for me and a couple others in genuinely worked :S Although here I doubt that'll work

I've tried two monitors. Neither of them are working, I am not going to repeatedly press the power button :rolleyes: ;Though thanks for the suggestion!

-Video Cards fine
    -I tried ram in different slots, using one stick, used other ram I know works.
    -All peripherals are getting power (wifi card/mouse/chipset fan/cpu fan)
    -Tested PSU, perfectly fine
    -When I first plugged in the new LCD I turned it on and the startup menu told me it was in safe mode and I needed to reset my 'overlclocking features'. I went into the bios and 'reset it to optimized defaults'. Saved and exited and It booted fine. I got to my desktop and started checking my e-mail. Monitor just lost connection! I haven't got a connection since this!
    edited December 2007
    Well, I can't find anything but crap as far as finding a new motherboard goes. I figured that it would probably be a smarter move to upgrade to AM2 (I don't have the money for core2duo right now).
    edited December 2007
    Are you using the same cable for the monitors? If so that might be buggered.
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    Are you using the same cable for the monitors? If so that might be buggered.

No, my CRT cable isn't interchangeable! I've tried a DVI and VGA cable on the LCD. Nothing works.
    edited December 2007
    I ordered a new mobo. Hopefully this fixes the problem!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    That's interesting. My only question is if the psu tester actually puts a load on the psu or if it is just testing non load voltage values.

Does your video work at all (eg. POST)?
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah I forgot to tell him to test with like a bunch of fans or hard drives or something...That's what I do.
    edited December 2007
    That's interesting. My only question is if the psu tester actually puts a load on the psu or if it is just testing non load voltage values.

Does your video work at all (eg. POST)?

I have absolutely no video signal!
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah I forgot to tell him to test with like a bunch of fans or hard drives or something...That's what I do.

I ran the tester with and without everything hooked up.
    edited December 2007
    Just got the mobo in the mail. I'll reply back tonight after work whether or not it fixed the problem.
    edited December 2007
    Put the new mobo in, got everything hooked up. Same problem. All the fans spin the computer powers up but the monitor still isn't getting a signal. I tried two seperate monitors.

I don't know what to do now.
    edited December 2007
    Took the hardware out of the case. Put it together with just the mobo, cpu, vid card, and one stick of memory. Still no signal.

Gonna try some other memory, if that doesn't work I assume it would be the cpu?
    edited December 2007
    memory is fine, I'm gonna try and find a buddy with a 939 processor that I can test with it.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Have you tried a different video card? forgive me for not reading the entire thread.
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    Hate to state the obvious - but does either of your MBs have On-Board video ?
    That should work as the default until its disabled in BIOS -- in fact when you did the BIOS reset on your old board (if it has On-Board) video it would have defaulted to that.

Assuming the above works (on your old board) go into BIOS and choose Set BIOS Defaults or BIOS Safe Settings etc.

On your newer board it should auto-detect the video card during BIOS and switch to that ---- but during all this trouble shooting go back to VGA mode to keep it simple ---- also keep in mind that your going to have a ton of driver issues with your old XP load and the new MB --- but you should still get a video sign-on signal if BIOS is fully executing.

As to why DVI didn't work straight out .... many possibilities there --- first off lets get things back working with VGA ---- most likely it didn't work due to a video driver issue or XP getting confused or both

good luck
    edited January 2008
    Neither board has onboard Video. New processor didn't help, which brings us back to the video card.
    edited January 2008
    Well when you get another video card, get a cheap PCI card like a 6200 or something as a backup or test card.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    cheap PCI card like a 6200 or something as a backup or test card
    Amen to that. I keep a couple junker PCI video cards in parts bin for backups and troubleshooting.
    edited January 2008
    Ah... the 6200... My first card :P