XP SP2 on a SATA drive

CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Last time I installed XP to an SATA drive was on my old system, a NF7-S. Not having a floppy, I made a slipstreamed CD using nLite to add the SATA drivers.

I just bought a C2D, Asus P5N-E mobo etc. Someone said I will not need to slipstream a new Windows CD, i.e. that the mobo has features to allow Windows XP to detect the SATA drive somehow.

Is this true?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I've not bothered slipstreaming with any of my installations. I've just used a PATA for installation then imaged the installation from the PATA over to a SATA after installing the necessary drivers in Windows. Cumbersome, but it works perfectly. After botched attempts at installing the drivers through USB and floppy drives at the F6 option, I just gave up and installed onto a PATA drive. I keep a couple spare PATA drives for come what may. That has served me well.

I realize this did not directly address your question.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    False.

You will need to slipstream, have a floppy, or have your BIOS put the SATA drives into legacy mode (P5N should be able to, but no promises).
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited December 2007
    Get the Win-XP SP3 RC here, and stream it ...
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate