ocz memory issues

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Is their a good alternative to OCZ. I have pc-3200 dual channel memory.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    PQI never let me down before.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Is their a good alternative to OCZ. I have pc-3200 dual channel memory.

Just PM RyderOCZ. He works for them. I'm sure he'd be glad to help with whatever issue you are having.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited December 2007
    well what happens is during game play halo 2 or cod2 the system will run from 50fps - 20fps.:sad2: ugh..........
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Why are you convinced it's the RAM?

What sort of testing have you done thus far?
    edited December 2007
    Well I did try swapping out the graphics card with a 8600gt. still the same issue. I at least want to keep this machine out of the junk pile for another two years.

On one channel I have pc3200 x2 256mb and the other pc4000 x2 512mb.
    edited December 2007
    I didn't know they made PC4000 memory for DDR1. That'd be what...533?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Sometimes running mismatched RAM on the same motherboard works just fine, with the motherboard memory bus defaulting to the speed of the slower RAM. Sometimes the mismatch will not work right. Have you tried just running the one speed RAM or the other speed, but not both together?
    edited December 2007
    I didn't know they made PC4000 memory for DDR1. That'd be what...533?

They did make it thats why I bought. When I do a cpuid I tells me pc4000.

Part no# OCZ500512ELDCGE-K
    edited December 2007
    I'm just saying that I'd never heard of it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If you put the same memory config from another brand, i am 100% sure you will see the same thing. Since you run with 4 sticks, and 2 of the pairs with different chips, chances are that your memory speed is at DDR400 or even less. Post screenies of CPU-z all tabs and we can tell.

Start a game, run half of one of the maps, then alt-tab out to desktop. Check with task manager how much resources you have left. How much ram is in use, how much cpu usage you have etc and let us know.
    What OS do you use? XP?
    edited December 2007
    If you put the same memory config from another brand, i am 100% sure you will see the same thing. Since you run with 4 sticks, and 2 of the pairs with different chips, chances are that your memory speed is at DDR400 or even less. Post screenies of CPU-z all tabs and we can tell.

Start a game, run half of one of the maps, then alt-tab out to desktop. Check with task manager how much resources you have left. How much ram is in use, how much cpu usage you have etc and let us know.
    What OS do you use? XP?

I use vista home premium. The system default speed is pc3200
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I think part of your issue is that you have too little memory for Vista to run reasonably.

On top of that, you're seeing bum framerates because you're using relatively low-end video cards to run games that need decent horsepower.

For example, Halo 2 is a DirectX 10 based game. It would actually run faster with a high-end DirectX 9 video card than it does with the 8600GT, which is a low-end DirectX 10 card. You're probably trying to push the resolution higher than either video card can comfortably run at.

Again, it's not the brand or speed of RAM that's causing your issue so much as the scarcity of it coupled with a low hardware spec in Vista and gaming terms.
    edited December 2007
    If he's got an x1600 that's not bad. It plays gears like butter, because that's how a friend of mine plays while he's at work..He's got a Macbook with the ATI x1600 in it.
    edited December 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I think part of your issue is that you have too little memory for Vista to run reasonably.

On top of that, you're seeing bum framerates because you're using relatively low-end video cards to run games that need decent horsepower.

For example, Halo 2 is a DirectX 10 based game. It would actually run faster with a high-end DirectX 9 video card than it does with the 8600GT, which is a low-end DirectX 10 card. You're probably trying to push the resolution higher than either video card can comfortably run at.

Again, it's not the brand or speed of RAM that's causing your issue so much as the scarcity of it coupled with a low hardware spec in Vista and gaming terms.

I tried the 8600GT and I got the same problem. I used low quality settings
    800x600 640x480.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Vista is your main gogger with only 1.5GB of ram. 7-900 is being used for Vista and it's main apps. Then you have about half a gig for your game. No modern games uses less than 500mb of ram i think.
    edited December 2007
    All the main apps I've shut down like vista aero.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Vista is a memory hog even on a fresh boot. I had Vista Basic (no Aero) installed before I went back to XP and it used 750MB or so of RAM when it was completely idle.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Erich,

What speeds and timings are you running the ram?

Have you tested with just 2 x 512 or 2 x 256? Mismatching densities will lower ram performance.

Crysis is the most demanding Video game on the market. People running SLI 8800's report less than 30FPS with "normal" settings.

I think you are just seeing the limitations of your hardware.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Agreed. Your hardware is substantially behind the curve for Crysis.
    edited December 2007
    I play with a class 2 computer on medium quality and I never dip below 45fps so memory must be a big thing since I've got 3gb of 5-5-5-15 400mhz.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Have you tested with just 2 x 512 or 2 x 256? Mismatching densities will lower ram performance.
    Erich, I asked you that as well a couple days ago and received no reply. I guess that means you have not tried. We'd like to help, but that's difficult if you ignore what we advise.
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Erich, I asked you that as well a couple days ago and received no reply. I guess that means you have not tried. We'd like to help, but that's difficult if you ignore what we advise.

OOPS sorry.
    I used the 2x512 pc3200
    edited December 2007
    The timing on the 2x256 is 2.5-4-4-7 & 2x512 2.5-4-4-8
    SLOT # 1 512
    2 256
    3 512
    4 256