Replacing PSU

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I am thinking about picking up an OCZ GameXStream 600W to replace a failing Antec Neo 550.

The Antec has been slowly degrading since my upgrade to the Q6600 and I think it's just not cutting it with all this gear. I know the 600W is "only 50 more Watts" but the specs are much better (12V@18A x4, 5V@30A, etc...)

Any opinions or recommendations?

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    If I end up building a new PC I'm looking into that gameXstream, if you don't care about the flashy blue lights.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    I have the 600W gamexstream and a 600W stealthxstream one will be going into a Q6600 build in the next few days. Full spec will probably be Q6600, ASUS P5B (penryn compliant), nvidia 8400GS , 2 GB geil PC 6400. I will report back on the build if I remember.:bigggrin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I was also looking into that PCP&C 610W Silencer you linked to, but it is a little bit longer than most and that's an issue with the Antec P180B.

Personally, the blue lights won't really bother me, I have no case windows.

It's also my understanding that PCP&C is now manufacturing most (if not all) of the OCZ PSUs, which is why I was looking into them in the first place. I bet Ryder can tell us for sure.

I'm also still on the fence about whether a single strong 12V is better than 4x12V rails, there seems to be a strong backing for both camps.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The GameXStream is not a PCP&C unit, but it is receiving excellent reviews nonetheless.

OCZ purchased PC Power & Cooling for the high-end PSUs.
  • edited December 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, the GameXstream 600 is actually a FSP built unit based on the Epsilon series. And it seems that I have read reviews of other Epsilon based units that had problems with ripple at high loads. The PCP&C Silencer 610 is a Seasonic-built psu; the same ODM as Corsair uses on several of their power supplies. If I were choosing between those 2 psu's, I would definitely go with the Silencer over the GameXstream.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    GameXstream 600 is actually a FSP built unit based on the Epsilon series
    You know, I really wonder how many PSU manufacturer's there really are? Wouldn't it be nice if there were a compendium that showed all major (and minor too, I guess) brands and who the manufacturers are? It's my guess that for every expensive label for a particular unit, there's an identical unit under a different brand name for half the cost.

The labels can be very, very costly.
    edited December 2007
    I agree, mudd, the Silencer 610 does seem to be the better of the two.

Leo, here is an article that talks about discovering the true manufacturer of a PSU.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thanks
    edited December 2007
    Alright, after much research I picked up a PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer, now to see if I can cram it into the bottom of a P180 and keep the bottom fan in position.

Thanks all.
    edited December 2007
    Well, it's a tight fit and it took me awhile to get the cables zip-tied just right in order to have them shoot straight up into the upper chamber, but it's in.

Silencer.jpg

They aren't kidding about being silent. Running ATITool and F@H SMP for a total system load and I can't hear the fan over the rest of a very quiet water cooled rig. I knew something was up with the Antec because all of a sudden the fan was always at 100%, same thing happened to my previous Antec when it went belly up. I've moved the Neo 550W over to my slave/server which consumes a max of ~150W and it seems to be doing OK there, fan speed has normalized and voltages are back where I like 'em.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Looks stellar. Do you have a picture of the whole system from the side?
    edited December 2007
    Looks stellar. Do you have a picture of the whole system from the side?

It's a complete mess right now, I like to make sure things work before I completely zip-tie them into my box. All is well so far, so I'll probably get everything cleaned up and re-organized in the next 48 hours. Then I'll post a pic. :bigggrin:
    edited December 2007
    It's far from perfect, but it's good enough for now. The location of this box in relation to my desk and entertainment stand make it difficult to get a good full side shot, but if you are familiar with the Antec P180B you should have a good idea what the whole rig looks like. You can see that my radiator is STILL not mounted the top of the case and is just back behind the PC, leaning against 2 of my drives in a cage that also just hangs out the back. 7 drives in this case was getting kinda crazy!

mas0nPC.jpg

Signatures change, so the hardware here is as follows:

Q6600 G0 @ 400x9 1.38v
    4GB Patriot PC6400 4-4-4-12
    ASUS Maximus Formula SE
    8800GT 756/1782/1008 w/ ThermalTake DuOrb
    PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer
    ThermoChill PA120.3 w/ 3 Scythe SFF21E, Apogee GT, Swiftech 655-B
    (2) 74GB WD740ADFD, (2) 400GB ST3400620AS, (3) 120GB ST3120026AS
    edited December 2007
    Very nice rig, sir! Good work shoehorning that PSU into the space too!
  • edited December 2007
    It's looking good, mas0n. I'm glad that you went with the Silencer even though it was a tight fit. I've been very impressed with my Seasonic built Corsairs and they are dead quiet. Plus, you get that great 5 year warrantee on that Silencer too. If I were in the market right now for a 600 watt class psu, the Silencer would be at the top of the list.