Samsung SP1203N Hard Disk Problem

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hello everyone!

Here's my problem:
I have a Samsung SP1203N hard drive which I have partitioned to 80G-primary and 40G-extended. This drive is mounted as a secondary master with Windows XP installed in the primary partition of this drive. I have a Seagate drive as primary master with Windows 2000 OS.

Recently, i get an error in the boot sector when viewed with Partition Table Doctor. I tried fixing it with the same utility but it couldn't be fixed. I've also tried checking the drive with Partition Magic and Window's Disk Manager but they found no errors. Since I could still access the drive, I left it as it is. The other day, I got a BSOD while accessing a file from my PC with my laptop. I restarted my pc and it was able to boot in XP. I tried accessing another file and after some time i got the BSOD again. I reboot my pc and this time it won't boot my XP, so I boot via Win2k. In Win2k I could see my drive D: but when I click on it, it says that the drive isn't formatted.

I have tried using Partition Table Doctor (which still says that the drive has a defective boot sector) to repair the drive but it still couldn't repair it. I've tried using Active Partition Recovery by fixing the MBR but I still couldn't access it.

One consolation though is that my files are still in there since Active File Recovery could see my files and I was able to restore some of them. I can't afford to buy another drive at the moment, thus, I don't have the space to restore all my files. So I was wondering if somebody here has any suggestion that could help me repair my drive while keeping my files intact. I will be trying the utility TestDisk later when I get home and hope it works.. :)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
  • edited January 2008
    yupyup Test Disk did work!! I was able to recover my partition and boot with my WinXP. Although I had to reinstall WinXP with the repair option since it wasn't behaving quite well. :)

However, the problem with Partition Table Doctor reporting my drive as having a defective boot sector is still there and couldn't be fixed. I did try Fixboot under the Windows repair console but the error was still there. I'll provide a screenshot of Partition Table Doctor's report tomorrow. I've also scanned my drive with Samsung's utility and there were no errors.. What other utilities could I try to fix my boot sector?

Thanks Leonardo for the reply but I don't have much problems with my WinXP installation. Very informative article though.. :)