What's too hot for my CPU?

edited December 2007 in Hardware
hello to all. seems a good place to start. as i have a gigabyte Ga-m57sli-s4 Am2 Nvnf570 Atx. that may have died. it is 1 day old. how hot would any one think the heatsink on the chipset should be .i am geting around 72c+

Comments

• sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2007
    that seems like a heck of a lot
    are you sure that is celcius and not farenhiet?
    if i remember correctly cpus need to be around 50 or 60c max.
    course it also depends somewhat on what cpu you do have.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    If it's 72C and it's an AMD chip you're 11C over Tcase max. The processor should've created a fatal error and would no longer boot.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    i am geting around 72c+
    As measured by what utility?
    that may have died
    What may have died? The motherboard? Why do you think so? Sorry, but your post scores pretty high on the vague meter.
  • edited December 2007
    it is the mobo chipset that is reading 72c+.i am useing a coolermaster cooldrive to read the heatsink temperature .so i gessing the ic is geting a lot warmer than the heatsink . it jumping to that kind of temperatures in bios.theres no sensor in bios to tell me how hot the chipset is . iam sorry for the vague 1st post it was geting late and my brain stoped working .it will not read form any drives with out crashing (bsod ) .cpu is about 38c .amd x2 6400+
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    38c heatsink temperature could easily be translated to 60c core temperature if you used Coretemp to measure. 60C is still on the ok side. Stay below 70c and you are golden.