Crashing and burning

davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
edited January 2008 in Hardware
I got an HP pavilion 6830 from a relative after my laptop died
I formatted the hard drive, swapped the 64M RAM for 2 128's I had laying around, installed XP Home, defragged, and went straight to windows update.
While running update my computer crashed (stack dump). Since then (yesterday) I've had 7 crashes (all while online or attempting to connect) once while typing this post :mad:

This is the message "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"
What do I do?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Remove 1 stick of ram, see if its more stable. If not, change to other stick. If not...put 64M back in and see if stable.

Most likely 1 or more sticks of ram are bad.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    It also doesn't serve you well that you are running (attempting to run) WinXP with the absolute bare minimum of RAM.
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited December 2007
    I'm an idiot...100 mhz bus 133 mhz stick of RAM :rolleyes2

Sorry 4 wasting time
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Uh...SD and DDR downclock. I've ran SD100 on 66mhz before. Driver IRQL means that the driver, or device are failing to make IRQ calls from the right channel. It means failing device, or failed driver.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2008
    Uh...SD and DDR downclock. I've ran SD100 on 66mhz before. Driver IRQL means that the driver, or device are failing to make IRQ calls from the right channel. It means failing device, or failed driver.

I concur with this. I've heard not to run faster ram like 133 on 100 systems. But I've done it with zero trouble.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    It also doesn't serve you well that you are running (attempting to run) WinXP with the absolute bare minimum of RAM.

I think this may actually have a lot to do with the crashes; I have run Xp Pro with only 128 Mb Ram on one machine with respectful performance and on another machine that whenever launching applications, response time would be horrid= also resulting in the occasional crash.
    edited January 2008
    I've got a sempron 1.6 running Xp Pro on 256. Runs fine and decent speed too.
    edited January 2008
    I've got a sempron 1.6 running Xp Pro on 256. Runs fine and decent speed too.

The machine with the 128 that ran well(considering) actually had the bare minimum processor as well; a Pentium 2 233 MHz. Never crashed and also ran XP Office Pro.
    With that sempron 1.6 256 (as I am sure you are aware) you have a lot more room for memory to be used for apps etc, since if Xp only has 128 (once again as I' sure you are aware) it will gobble all of it just to stay operational.
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I know. I'm just stating that 256 (what that guy is running in that laptop) was fine for XP, even if he didn't have a mondo chip. I've ran XP on a Duron 733 and 128mb and it ran semi-decent even though the board was made by PCChips. Driver IRQL is a hardware/driver fault, not a memory issue.
    edited January 2008
    stating that 256 (what that guy is running in that laptop) was fine for XP,

True. Should be more than enough. For some reason I read his post and Leos and thought he was running only 128 ,,,,hey it was New Years Eve!!:bigggrin:

*Driver IRQL is a hardware/driver fault, not a memory issue*

is there a possible work around or solution you had in mind YAD?

..so you are thinking not bad Ram? Have you run memtest davidacord?
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah! All he needs to do is post the error address and the file suspected to be causing it and I can walk him through it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Driver IRQL is most often a memory issue.
    edited January 2008
    I've had many computers. Many hardware failures. Never once in my days has a DIRQL lead to memory. They've all lead to a bad driver, or a failing device. But I do remember one time that I got one, then back to back the dimm slots on the board died...But then again...That's hardware too.
    edited January 2008
    That's all fine and good, but it's usually ram.
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited January 2008
    OK Guys... I changed the RAM and it fixed the crashing problem. (Even though I've never had a problem running XP with less than 256.) But now when I dail up (yes I know it's lame) my computer locks up. The screen is still there, any apps Im using are still there, it's just the keyboard and mouse that aren't responding. It only happens when Im dialing up or online.

PS how do I run memtest? Click Start, run, type memtest?

PPS error address? is that : STOP 0x000000D1 (0x076A8AD0, 0x000000FF, oxoooooooo, 0x076A8AD0)
    cause if it is it kept changing

PPPS The RAM slots are right under the drive bays and are a pain in the ass to change :mad:
    edited January 2008
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, it does. It looks like it's spawning from a kbclass system, but I'm not sure. I referr you to This to check the steps there to see if it's not your memory. After changing the memory this happened...I'm thinking you discharged a wee bit of static somewhere..