It's time for a new video card for YAD.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Well today did it. I was playing CSS and the next thing I know, my gun was stretched all over the screen. Invalid bone to vertex assignment. I want your full advice. My budget is 200 including shipping, but if it's close enough, I might go up to about 250. I'm leaning to the Sapphire 3850 512MB, Sure it's no 8800GT or whatnot, but it's 199 with shipping from the egg. I haven't made any decisions yet, and probably won't until monday. My 3DFX Voodoo 3 will last me as long as I need it to.

Edit:// I'm looking at the Radeon 2900XT too, Requires both PCI-E connetors huh? Can someone give me the bare-tacks amp requirement for it?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    For that price range, the 3850 wins.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Thought so. Thanks Doc.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'd probably agree. Have fun with it. :D New parts are always exciting to me.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    For that price range, the 3850 wins.
    I am no gamer, but with that disclosure out of the way, I do try to keep up with video card developments in general. The 3850 is raking in a lot of praise for being an excellent performer for the price. I guess I'd call it a 90% solution for a 75% price. The top of line card could be considered a 100% solution for 150% price. I think the 3850s will continue to sell very well. Lord knows AMD needs that.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The 3870 is close to $200 here in europe now. Should easily be available for that price in the US too.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    It's close to 250, but shipping's not included and I don't have the extra money