Windows SMP and Static IP Addresses - Stability Improved!

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Folding@Home
I had been have an irritating problem with work units stopping, just simply stopping to process after completing frames. The work units were not corrupted. I could restart the units, but overnight and during the work day Folding clients could be down for hours, the computer just wasting electricity doing nothing. This problem was with both my Q6600 and D930 machines, both Ethernet and wireless. I had tried any number of fixes, including wireless card settings (configuration) changes and numerous DSL modem and router resets.

It appears I have found a solution: IP addresses for the networked computers. It was actually a fairly easy fix. I simply assigned each computer a static IP. That was two days ago. None of the 8 clients have experienced a work unit hang since then. Time will tell if this is a long term stability improvement or not, but based on the last 48 hours, it appears that it is a major improvement.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    there are quasi-similar issues with macs - they never start folding, just sit there and spin. The solution was adding a line to the hosts file for the computer name that redirects to localhost or 127.0.0.1, as the mac client uses the computer name, rather than a loopback address for some reason.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    UPDATE:

After nearly two weeks of running my home networked computers with static IP addresses, I can safely say that this has definitely improved production. Out of five computers folding 24 hours a day, since changing all the computers over to static IP addresses, I've only had one work unit stall. There are eight WinSMP clients running.

Before, in a typical two week period, there would be 10 to 20 stalls. I estimate the IP fix has resulted in at least a 15% production increase.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    Jeepers I wish I had your problem so I could have 15% more production!