Slowly Constructing New Rig

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
How does this list look so far? Any motherboard suggestions(a good overclocker){[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 1333FSB 2PCI-E16 3PCI 2PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound WLAN Motherboard}[/FONT]?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
In Stock 22211 $299.99 $299.99

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS Ssc Crysis 112SP 576MHZ 640MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDTV DIRECTX10 Video Card
In Stock 27091 $415.25 $415.25

OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
In Stock 25352 $129.99 $129.99

NOD32 Antivirus Ver 3.0 1 Year Subscription OEM English Edition Antivirus Antiroot Kit
In Stock 27025 $9.99 $9.99

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 1000GB 7200RPM SATA2 32MB Terabyte Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Wrty* 0A35155
In Stock 26180 $355.84 $355.84

TOTAL $1,211.06

I'll have the rest of the money to purchase this in the next month or so. The other parts =motherboard, Psu etc I was budgeting for another 500$;in about the start of spring? Then I can put this baby together (and hopefully will be in a new apartment as well).

Any suggestions/criticisms would be appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Use a free AV. They're just as good.

I wouldn't trust Hitachi after they bought IBM's ill-fated hard drive line. I would feel much safer with Seagate.

No complaints on the rest.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I will probably go with AVG; the Nod32 was just a special offer=but probably still a waste of 10$

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive - How about this drive?[/FONT]
    edited January 2008
    Delicious.

//EDIT: What's the price on that P5K-E?
    edited January 2008
    $168.48

and 2 or three open box ones for $148
    edited January 2008
    You should look at the DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S. Yes, yes, I know my sig says I'm getting one, but as far as OCing is concerned, it's the cream of the crop and ahead of the Asus boards in price <i>and</i> performance.
    edited January 2008
    I am definitely looking for overclocking performance. I could not locate the DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S on the NCIX website.... are they just coming out? I seem to remember on IRC you mentioning it was not yet available? About a month ago or less.Regardless if I have to wait .. I am waiting on the Motherboard/PSU/Cooling on the next order.

Edit:/ I'm taking that Quad to at least 3.4/3.6. :)
    edited January 2008
    They should be out in volume by the time you're prepped to buy. Mine was $164 w/ shipping from www.motherboardpro.com. Since you're already in for waiting, it's worth waiting <i>for</i>.
    edited January 2008
    Unfortunately my budget dictates a waiting period:wink:

...thank you much for the advice, always appreciated.

:cheers2:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    NOD32 Antivirus.. Edition Antivirus Antiroot Kit
    Waste of money at any price. Use AVG or Avast. AVG also has a free anti-rootkit program.

Nice motherboard selection. But I will paraphrase Thrax - the DFI is a great board for the money, well, great board irrespective of money. You might also consider the Abit IP35 Pro and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0. (Thrax, the DS4 is 500FSB capable. IP35 Pro is also a 500FSB board, but not as reliably as DFI or DS4.) Both the Abit and DFI though, have a better overclocking BIOS.

Hitachi drives are great. I've been using them since they bought out IBM's drive division and reworked the platter coating process. In my experience (several Hitachi drives), they are fast, quiet, and reliable. If there is not a big price difference, then I too would go with retail Seagate - excellent drives and superb warranty. BTW, some of the Maxtor-branded drives now are Seagate models, just with a different label and smaller price tag. Just perform an internet search on the drive's printed model number.

If you have to hold off for a period of time while accumulating cash, take the opportunity to research motherboards. The X38 chipset is maturing and looks very, very promising. Boards are still quite pricey, though.

Instead of a 1TB drive, why not two 500GB drives? Run with one drive, use the other drive externally for a backup device. Or, three 320GB drives (relatively inexpensive is you shop specials): two internal, one external....or something.
    edited January 2008
    I do a lot of research on chipsets, and granted I am no professional at it, it's something of my bread and butter when it comes to PCs. I don't think the X38/48 is going to be any better than the 975X was compared to the P965, which is to say that it wasn't. The P35 performs just as well, and is receiving far more developer/overclocker focus.
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Instead of a 1TB drive, why not two 500GB drives? Run with one drive, use the other drive externally for a backup device. Or, three 320GB drives (relatively inexpensive is you shop specials): two internal, one external....or something.

It sounds so uber cool to say I have a 1 TB Drive:bigggrin:
    And the Seagate is a little cheaper than the Hitachi, might as well save where I can.

Seriously I was thinking of getting another 250/300 GB back up enclosure.

Thanks for the info Leo! :cheers3:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    It sounds so uber cool to say I have a 1 TB Drive
    either uber cool or uber geeky :)
    edited January 2008
    either uber cool or uber geeky :)

:tongue:

;D
    edited January 2008
    It sounds so uber cool to say I have a 1 TB Drive
    Well, I remember when my 1GB drive was the envy of my friends. But it wasn't "uber cool." We didn't use misspelled German words to describe 'cool' things back then. (should be ueber kuhl) Actually, the 1GB drive, Connor Peripherals brand, was a steaming pile of.... that only lasted three weeks. The 1.3GB (oh wow!) free replacement lasted a whole two months! It was way cool until the POS of Packard Bell fell apart one major component at a time!

(1995 Packard Hell computer - first and only off-the-shelf doo doo I've owned)
    edited January 2008
    I have an 800mb Connor drive from my first Packard Bell that still works just fine.
    edited January 2008
    Yours works only because you are uber l337. I've never held said status. :sad2:

:bigggrin:
    edited January 2008
    Über 1337, to you. ;)
    edited January 2008
    :D:D

Awesome! You got the umlaut spelling correct! My Swabian (Schwaebisch) wife would be very pleased!

Oh the shame, the shame. I didn't even spell 1337 correctly. I'm hopeless.
  • edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS Ssc Crysis 112SP 576MHZ 640MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDTV DIRECTX10 Video Card
    In Stock 27091 $415.25 $415.25

I would go with a 8800GT since in most benchmarks the 8800GT beats the 8800GTS Ssc and i have a 8800 GT and they are fast and oc like a mad
    edited January 2008
    New GTS cards beat the GT.
  • edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    New GTS cards beat the GT.

yes they do but not the old ones with 320 and 640mb of ram