More Production

ButtersButters CA Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Folding@Home
Alright, so I am getting a boost in production, thanks to a multi-use server that I'll be maintaining and a cheapy workstation that will go along...

The Work Station will have an Intel E4300.

While the server will have Dual (2x) Qual Core Xeon Processor E53202x4MB Cache, 1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB, PE2900

I can't wait to see how the Xeon folds. Shall I use all 8 cores?

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    That should net you some SERIOUS pointage!!! :rockon:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2008
    Butters wrote:
    .... Shall I use all 8 cores?

As long as it doesn't get you in any trouble ... why not?

And YAY!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    .... Shall I use all 8 cores?
    Well, why not use all 8 cores! Some of us use four cores for two clients per machine. I can't advise you on the clients' setup for 2 CPUs -8 cores. If no one her chimes in, consult Folding Forum.

Let's see, those Xeons have hyperthreading too, don't they. Hmm, that's 8 physical cores and 8 virtual cores. Oh my, there's some serious fun to be had here!
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'll see what happens running all 8 cores, I could always test to see what would be best. BTW, It's a start up company's new server in which I am a partner, so its basically is my server. It's obviously overkill for what we actually need, but my intention was #1 fold, #2 fold some more, #3 use as web/app server (3-5 people, 4-5 hours a day).

Folding ETA hopefully in about a week.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited January 2008
    You´ll need 2 SMP clients to fully utilize that server.
    edited January 2008
    I'll experiment with WinSMP, I noticed Leo's sticky on the subject.

Looking at the numbers, I guess that would be the best way to go, Leo's is dropping tons of PPD.

So really, if I have hyper-threading, and it was enabled, I might actually see and use "16" cores, potentially? Thus needing 2 Win SMP clients?
    edited January 2008
    16 'cores' - potentially, yes. Please research at Folding Forum first. I do not know how to set up multiple SMP clients with multiple CPUs, let alone multiple SMP clients for each CPU of a multiple-CPU machine. (did that make sense? :crazy:)
    edited January 2008
    With VMware would be easy, but not if that box isnt dedicated.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    Dont waste your time/memory with VMWare, use the Afinity app I found which will set cores for you.
    edited January 2008
    On a 16 core box? U sure?
    edited January 2008
    On a 16 core box? U sure?
    Yeah, my question as well. Affinity Changer works perfectly with 4 cores, but 8 or 16?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    I'd try that first than messing with 4x 700+mb VMWares. Its not quite dedicated but it is most of the day.

How much memory do you have in the box. I'm guessing at least 4gb.
    edited January 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    I'd try that first than messing with 4x 700+mb VMWares. Its not quite dedicated but it is most of the day.

How much memory do you have in the box. I'm guessing at least 4gb.

4GB.