Help! Toshiba M35-S456

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I have a Toshiba M35-S456 Laptop. After having used this laptop for a couple of years, I am starting to see a little wear and tear with the hinges that connect the screen to the base laptop. Can anyone suggest the best way to go about replacing it? I feel that the more I close open/close my laptop the more likely it will just break. Any suggestions for parts replacement? Or guides to replaces the hinges? Try Geek Squad? I am in San Francisco if that helps...

Thank you.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Unfortunately, the only recourses in this venture are expensive or time-consuming:

1) You could send it to a Toshiba repair facility to have them replaced. Who knows how much this might cost, but it won't be light on the wallet.

2) You could, perhaps, find some replacements on ebay, but then you'd be stuck disassembling your own laptop to replace them. That's if you could find them.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Wild shot - know any cabinet makers or a skilled finish carpenter? They might be able to neatly install a high quality piano hinge. (no, I'm not joking) It would all depend on if there is enough monitor frame overhang to mount the hinge without the mounting screws cracking the plastic.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2008
    Are you sure it's the actual hinges that are tearing, or just the plastic casing ontop of the hinges? It's not unusual for those plastic caps to wiggle loose over time. But they are just covering metal hinges underneath.