Is my laptop's battery charging?

edited January 2008 in Hardware
hi my first post here just had a laptop given to me by a friend minus hdd and it doesn't boot and the 3rd light isnt lighting up any ideas?? not the power suply unit as i have tried it in my older laptop.

thanks in advance chris

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Please, let's not confuse the other thread with this new topic. I've opened a separate thread for you.
    edited January 2008
    Your description of the problem implies that you are trying to run your computer without a hard drive. Is that correct?
  • edited January 2008
    thats correct as it has had it removed i have no caddy etc.need to buy one but the thing is the charge light doesntcome on

thanks chris
    edited January 2008
    You can't operate your laptop without a hard drive. End of story. Your laptop will forever be a strange paperweight unless you replace the hard drive and have an operating system to install on it.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Well, Chris, without a hard drive, it has nothing to boot off of. If it DID boot, i would be a little worried though....
    edited January 2008
    I am not proficient enough with laptop power architecture to know if that charging light is even part of the circuit when a hard drive is not installed. So, you are concerned that purchasing a hard drive is an unnecessary expense if the laptop will be dead anyway?

Do you have another laptop that you could remove the hard drive from, to just test in the incomplete laptop? Don't boot it up. Just install the hard drive and see if the charging/power light comes on.
  • edited January 2008
    no spare hdd my other laptop is sata :(

so with no hdd it wont charge
    edited January 2008
    I don't know if the charging circuitry is disabled by hard drive removal or whether your computer has physical defect. Maybe someone else here can advise whether the charger should work even if the hard drive is missing.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yo Chris,

I'm pretty sure that the light is governed by the OS, like the caps light and is toggled when it realizes there is a positive current coming in. As long as it's plugged in and the battery is fine, you should charge.
  • edited January 2008
    so even without a hdd it will charge ?? just ordered a cradle of ebay need a cheap as f00k hdd to test with now
  • edited January 2008
    welshd1k wrote:
    so even without a hdd it will charge ?? just ordered a cradle of ebay need a cheap as f00k hdd to test with now
    Here's a link you might find useful for cheap as chips HD's, I assume with the name u are in uk?

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/laptop-hard-drives.htm

Hope it helps :D..:: Pipe