new heatsink for amd cpu

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hey im looking for a new heatsink for my amd 5600+
i curently have just the stock one and its starting to get loud with my new 8800GT and i would like to lower the sound abit.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good silent one

p.s. i do abit of oc'ing but not much

thanxs

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Thermaltake heatsinks own according to everyone here except me, the only owner of a Cooler Master Gemini 2 I've ever heard of. I reccomend the Gemini 2 because as soon as I get some spare scratch I'm gonna turn mine into a waterblock/radiator. But with two fans running 1400 instead of their 2800 regular rpm putting out an estimated 54CFM(Half speed, half airflow), I keep a processor that was around 50C on stock cooling (Crappy unlevel heatsink) around 33C idle and 44C load.
  • edited January 2008
    The Gemini is an option but the Thermalright Ultra 120 or Ultra 120 eXtreme are better choices for your AM2 proc. If you were socket 939 or an Intel setup I would also recommend the Tuniq Tower 120 but the AM2 mount for it is a bit cobbled together from what I've read and doesn't provide the same performance on AM2 that it gets on socket 939 or Intel systems. Couple the U-120 with a low to medium speed 120mm fan and you have a quiet, effective cooling solution. For fans I would recommend the Scythe S-Flex series or the Yate Loons if you are on a budget.
  • edited January 2008
    thanx for the info i was actually looking at the ultra chilltec and was wondering if anyone here has one and what do they think about it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You can do just as well or better than the ChillTec for less than half the price. I just looked at a number of reviews and noted that some conventional coolers, not even high end were keeping pace with the ChillTec.

Here are some top class coolers that look good, perform great, and won't break the bank:

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Thermalright Ultra 120
    Thermalright SI-128E
    Thermalright SI-120
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Noctua NH-U12F
    Scythe (two or three models - large ones with 120mm fans)
    Zalman CNPS9700 NT
    Zalman CNPS9700
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120VX
    Enzotech Ultra-X
    Zalman CNPS9500

There are plenty others less expensive than the above that also would suit your purposes with cooling power to spare. Look for large coolers with heatpipes and 120mm fans. Large fans can produce ample airflow without the noise of buzzy smaller fans.

Also, if you won't be overclocking much, you can dip down into the $40 range and probably find a very effective, near silent heatsink.