Recent Increase in Team Production

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited January 2008 in Folding@Home
So whats going on here?

How did the team average go from ~160-170k/day to now over 200k AVERAGE as of the past week. We definetely took a huge step up recently.

I see lsevald has come back online with some more machines for an extra 7k-8k/day or something like that as he better with Leo breathing down his neck. Enisada has also taken a step up as well recently as well as some other members.

But I still dont see where ~40k/day has come from. We are now Red(200k/day) on EOC stats which is nice to have back after the update.

Have the SMPs become more stable with less EUEs or something?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Must be an anonymous philanthropist among us.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    let me give you an example of what SMP did for SM21

Months Production:
    09.07 2566 pts
    10.07 2363 pts
    11.07 3568 pts
    12.07 15,840 pts

Thats just from switching from 2 instances of FAH running to 1 instance of SMP running.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'm not much for folding, but will be adding the SMP client to four Athlon X2 4800+ computers which do nothing but sit there and serve video content.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    let me give you an example of what SMP did for SM21

Months Production:
    09.07 2566 pts
    10.07 2363 pts
    11.07 3568 pts
    12.07 15,840 pts

Thats just from switching from 2 instances of FAH running to 1 instance of SMP running.

Niiiiice! Wish IC11 could learn that trick!
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm not much for folding, but will be adding the SMP client to four Athlon X2 4800+ computers which do nothing but sit there and serve video content.

Awesome, thanks Thrax! That will probably add over 3k PPD. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the contribution Thrax. We rabid Folders realize not everyone gets excited about Folding@Home, so any contribution from the Folding agnostics is greatly appreciated.
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited January 2008
    I set up SMP on my Dual (dual core) Opteron system and wow what an increase. That and i started folding again.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    It must be related to the current wus.
    My two full time and one part time machine all run winSMP.
    For many months I was feeling good about 50k/mo.
    November was 72k, and Dec was 83k.
    I am on pace to make over 80k again this month.

I may not make it since I will be in India for 2 weeks, but I will fold all that I can.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    woohoo, signature working... So what is the difference between hosting FAH program on my PC and having a 'Rig'?? I've read up on it but I still don't get it.
    edited January 2008
    "Rig" is slang for personal computer, that's all. It's just like box, machine, or puter.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I got a buddy who used to fold and stopped back into it when he got his Q6600. He's only been back up and running for the last week or so, but an extra 2600 points are comming from Wazze.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    woohoo, signature working... So what is the difference between hosting FAH program on my PC and having a 'Rig'?? I've read up on it but I still don't get it.

I think you mean this:
    You can fold for 93 that's one thing. ( thank-you for that) :)
    Than you have hosting a rig for 93, What that is is showed here :)
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9664
    edited January 2008
    but an extra 2600 points are comming from Wazze
    Get him to pop into the forums. We'd love to meet him and thank him for joining the team.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2008
    I took a hiatus because my machine kept corrupting WUs.. now I'm back and everything seems stable. I'll also be upgrading in the near future, first is a new motherboard because, well... My P5B Deluxe is haunted.. It likes to boot up with a 9x multiplier rather than the 8x it's set at. But much more worrisome are the 2 broken RAM rentention clips. Every other day I have had to swap out the Mushkin DDR2 (rated at 2.1V) for a stick of standard RAM (Rated at 1.8v) in order to set the VDIMM to 2.1v. and enable the computer to boot with the Mushkin. Anyways, all the activity around the RAM slots has taken it's toll. I'm unable to use Bank1 because since I broke the retention clip, the RAM won't sit properly on the motherboard. Bank2 also has a damaged clip but only the guides are missing, the clip itself will still hold the RAM in.. *Sigh

I'm also looking at getting a Q6600 but am unsure as to when. We'll see. Priority is a new motherboard and thanks to Thrax's recommendations, I'll probably get a DFI Blood Iron.
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Get him to pop into the forums. We'd love to meet him and thank him for joining the team.

Hey gang,

I'm new to the forms, but I've been folding for team 93 for a while, just not recently. Thanks for the warm welcome back. DanG gets a big assist on getting all my stuff together (system overclocking and proprer fah client for the quad core). Thanks Dan. It's good to be back and contributing to the team again.

Mike (Wazze)
    edited January 2008
    Mike, we love you! Quad + Folding = kick in the pants. If you haven't already done so, download and install Affinity Changer. It's good for a couple hundred or more points from the same Folding client. If I remember correctly, I picked up around 400PPD each for my quads after installing affinity changer. It load balances the four cores, ensuring each is fully engaged with the SMP client. I'm telling you, Folding keeps getting better and better.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    Ok so what happened now? We went from nearly 230k in 1 day to 182k in several days and our average is 193k for the past 7 days.

Enisada went from like a 4k average to 20k average. I got my C2D system back up in the past few days but yet we still dropped 10k a day over the past week.
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Mike, we love you! Quad + Folding = kick in the pants. If you haven't already done so, download and install Affinity Changer. It's good for a couple hundred or more points from the same Folding client. If I remember correctly, I picked up around 400PPD each for my quads after installing affinity changer. It load balances the four cores, ensuring each is fully engaged with the SMP client. I'm telling you, Folding keeps getting better and better.

Leonardo, thanks! And thanks for the tip on Affinity. I went to the link to check it out. I read there is no point to installing it if you are only running one instance of fah (on the affinity site). I'm running the SMP client to use all 4 cores (just one). Do you use a virtual machine to run two instances? Or if you are just running one instance, did you see gains in your daily ppd even with only one instance running? Thanks so much for the tips :)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2008
    Wazze wrote:
    Leonardo, thanks! And thanks for the tip on Affinity. I went to the link to check it out. I read there is no point to installing it if you are only running one instance of fah (on the affinity site). I'm running the SMP client to use all 4 cores (just one). Do you use a virtual machine to run two instances? Or if you are just running one instance, did you see gains in your daily ppd even with only one instance running? Thanks so much for the tips :)

The idea is you run affinity, and then two smp apps. No virtual machine. That pretty much guaranteed will get you more ppd. Run the smps under different machine ids and then you should be set. If you alt+ctrl+del and check the processes you should see 8 cores running at between about 10-15%.
    edited January 2008
    Wazze, yagga is correct. No need for virtual anything and all that complication for two SMP clients if you run Affinity Changer.
    That pretty much guaranteed will get you more ppd
    Not "pretty much," rather, you definitely will get more points with 2 X WinXMP w/Affinity Changers versus without. Hundreds more points/day.

Yes, I run two WinSMP clients simultaneously on my quads. Each client typically finishes a work unit with 70% or more time remaining.
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Wazze, yagga is correct. No need for virtual anything and all that complication for two SMP clients if you run Affinity Changer. Not "pretty much," rather, you definitely will get more points with 2 X WinXMP w/Affinity Changers versus without. Hundreds more points/day.

Yes, I run two WinSMP clients simultaneously on my quads. Each client typically finishes a work unit with 70% or more time remaining.

Thanks guys, I just changed it up... two SMP clients and Affinity all running, can't wait to see the results!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    i was out of the picture (~3k/day) due to a couple re-installs.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    It was like 2500 ppd with 1 client, 3200 with 2 clients and 4k with 2 clients w/Affinity Changer. I posted some screenies around here somewhere about it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The ps3 (~1200ppd) at IcronticHQ was down for a few days. Back up now.