I decided im gonna build my own computer

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
I decided, that im sick of people telling me stuff like
"oo , u can't run that game"
"I bet vista slows you down a ton"

Its gonna take me a while to get all the parts (probably like a year)
I think im just gonna buy as I go. Get a check, then order a part and so on.

I already picked out a case, its not the most amazing case, but its nice looking and has two huge fans on it.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend parts for me, im looking to spend a total of around 1,000-1,500

I want at least 4gb of ram (which isn't that expensive) but idk what brand to get

I want the best graphics that I can get, without exceeding my overall price in the end...

I know nothing about motherboards, so if someone could point me to a good one i would greatly appreciate it.....

Im thinking maybe a Intel core 2 duo, im hearing those are the best right now, performance wise, even over the quad cores.... Is this true?????

These are just my beginning thoughts, and i would love if someone could help me out a little lol:D

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    If it's going to take a year I'd honestly recommend saving the money until you can afford to buy the entire PC at once. That way you can ensure higher compatibility and the best prices, as prices are always dropping and hardware is always getting better.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Agree with what he said. Take the money and put it in a jar until you can buy the whole thing. A part you buy now may look absolutely lame 8 months from now when you buy the final piece.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Look through a guide like this
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3125
    it will give you some ideas of what can be done with $1500 these days.

Do you need a monitor also? Keyboard, mouse ?
    The guys that already posted are right. Wait until you are ready to spend the money and then do it all at once.
  • edited January 2008
    I'll go with the above sentiments somewhat, trumandrummer. You can buy some things such as your case and psu right now, as you get the money to buy them as those are parts that won't significantly change while you are getting the bucks together to buy the rest of the guts to your new rig. But I would hold off on buying the mobo, proc, vid card and ram until you can afford to get them all at once and get them in one fell swoop.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    Totally agree with what the guys are saying.

By time you do buy your final peice it might not work well enough with your old peices.

Wait a while. OR Get a loan ;) (But I don't recommend that - Cough)
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Ya that does make a lot more sense,

although I calculated it, and I just got hired here so im not getting many hours but it will take me 12 weeks to get $1000 (i only work 3 days a week)

But I have to buy some stuff first, so I cant start saving for a few weeks..

So yea ill probably wait until im all saved up then, but I might not wait for the case..

Still, does anyone have any recommendations for me (hardware wise)???
    just so i can start looking around

BTW: the guide was very usefull
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yes, what they said above. Just save your money so you can pounce when the time is right. While you are saving, start reading as much as you can stand on hardware reviews. Get to know the performance parameters of motherboards, especially chipsets. Also, be watching video cards. The most important information at this point is not so much particular brands and models, but technology and performance trends.

We are looking forward to helping you successfully plan and assemble your first homebuilt computer.
    edited January 2008
    well thanks a lot everyone

I got a question.... ive been looking at processors online and looking at ratings a reviews.... and I am very confused, it seems as if nobody can make up their mind on what is better, dual or quad core...

I have heard from a few sources that some of the Intel core 2 duo's are better than most quad core processors...

Yet looking at reviews, most of the Intel core 2 duo's comments/reviews say that its very nice, but doesn't match up to a quad core...

Ive also heard that Intel is the way to go right now, that AMD isnt like it was a year or two ago.

im simply confused, can anyone give me some pointers on what processors I should be looking at for great performance under around $300?

EDIT: ill probably be asking a lot of questions until the time comes to buy everything;)
    EDIT 2: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache looks very nice, and has some good reviews at a price of $279.... any ideas on this vs a quad core??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    It's not worth discussing right the moment, since you won't be buying for months. The entire landscape is going to change by early summer.
    edited January 2008
    It's not worth discussing right the moment
    Sure it is! Just as long as the discussion is steered towards understanding the technologies and trends and principles of good performance. As to specifying exact components considered for purchase, then yes, that would be a waste of time right now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The argument as inquired was: What's better, dual core or quad?

When Penryn arrives in quantity, the answer we accept now may no longer be valid. Thus my point above.
    edited January 2008
    No argument.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    Well get surfing.What brands are you looking for and dont forget compatability issues.I prefere AMD.Are you looking at duo core or quad core?What prosessor?What are you going to use machine for?High spec games or genral surfing and downloading or all of the above.Yes and I agree the prices are lowering all the time,I would wait and save the cash then take a look at what you want to buy.Are you sticking with onboard graphics or pci?What about cooling are you staying with fan or are you going to try water cooling?If you give us a decent idea of what you are concidering then maybe more info can be found.
    edited January 2008
    I prefere AMD
    For low or mid-range, it's an option, but I would avoid AMD altogether until there is a clearer picture of their technology future.
    edited January 2008
    well, I want it to be more of a gaming computer...

it doesn't have to be to insane lol, but I want it to def run those games that average computers cant....

I thought about water cooling, but i don't want to go far over $1,000 - 1500

As far as onboard or PCI... I don't know, ive always had already built computers lol, idk whats good and whats not ... I was looking at some Geforce 8800's if that helps:confused:. Maybe someone could point me to a good graphics solution that performs good enough for what im gonna be doing.

I was all for AMD like last year, my lappy has an AMD.......... but ive heard so much better things about Intel right now, performance and price wise.....