RAID Debacle...need help real bad

edited January 2008 in Hardware
I have two 750gb WD drives and I used the onboard RAID to stripe them. A request came up asking if I wanted to clear the MBR and I chose, "No." Then I installed Vista 32bit OS with no problems. I then tested the RAID performance using HD Tune and then made a backup of the primary partition using Acronis True Image 11 without any problems.

Then I installed a PCI-E RAID controller and plugged in my drives into it and then created a new RAID 0 array that the PCI-E RAID controller could see. I booted up without any problems and then tested the performance of the drives using HD Tune. The difference between onboard RAID and PCI-E RAID was slim so I took out the PCI-E controller and returned it.

I hooked up my two drives back to the onboard RAID controller and it worked fine.

Now, when I went to make a backup using Acronis' TI 11 using the recovery CD I get a quick error message, "dev/sda sil and nvidia formats discovered (using nvidia)," but Acronis no longer sees my drives!!

I deleted the array and cleared the MBR and then created a new mirrored array and TI gives me the same message and does not see the drives.

When using Acronis TI 11 in windows mode when I try to backup from the RAID drives I get a message, "SCSI/host5/bus0/Target0/Lun0/disc" disk with major 8 minor 32 does not have a valid Intel Software Raid Signature."

How do I fix this problem?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Wow. That is an esoteric problem :wtf:

I'll let someone else with more disk knowledge chime in, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that only zero-filling the drives is going to remove the signature that the PCI-E controller left.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Okay, silly question. When you created the new array did you initialize it?
  • edited January 2008
    Hello Kwitko
    I'm not sure what you mean by "initialize." I created the array and then used two ntfs partitions and they are seen in windows if I boot off a single drive.