e-SATA enclosure

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
All right, ladies and gents -

Gigabyte has these awesome e-SATA brackets that come with their boards, that look like so:

GigabyteP35DQ6_SATAextn.jpg
(Thanks, PC Stats!)

Anyway, I was looking at enclosures, and all of them use external power adapters, and I don't want that. I want to use the power mount you can see in the middle. As you can see, the cables come with the bracket, so I have the power connector and the e-SATA cable. All I want is an enclosure that will take my SATA power and SATA connection and feed it to the drive. Don't want power adapters under any circumstances.

Am I better off making my own enclosure, or has anybody seen anything like what I'm describing? Right now I've got a bare drive laying outside my case, which I don't particularly like, but is that the only purpose of the bracket, for temporary transfers using bare drives?

Thanks, everybody.

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Quote*Don't want power adapters under any circumstances.

Not to hijack your thread, but I was just curious as to why no power adapters?

I used to have a system with a slave/bare drive and just was really caring with it, making sure it had a sturdy place to sit. Never had a problem. Granted this was a 98SE machine with 3 drives and a constant open chassis for cooling that was more for backing up a main computer running Windows 2000. Blah blah blah and blah :) lol

It would be uber cool/geeky ;) to make your own enclosure ....wOOt!!!!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    Quote*Don't want power adapters under any circumstances.

Not to hijack your thread, but I was just curious as to why no power adapters?

I used to have a system with a slave/bare drive and just was really caring with it, making sure it had a sturdy place to sit. Never had a problem. Granted this was a 98SE machine with 3 drives and a constant open chassis for cooling that was more for backing up a main computer running Windows 2000. Blah blah blah and blah :) lol

It would be uber cool/geeky ;) to make your own enclosure ....wOOt!!!!

The geek factor is definitely appealing to me, and it's sad that it's the first thing I thought of :(

The reason for no adapters is A) no extra cabling, B) no bulky block, C) make use of the connector I'm provided with, you know. I really want to just be able to go to the back of my computer and plug it in/unplug it in one simple location.

And right now I'm being like you. It's safe, it's in a stable place, it's doing fine, but if I ever want to move it, it doesn't stand a chance. That, and I don't really like open electronics. ;) But yeah, I really just want something simple, two cables straight to the back of the puter and you're done.
    edited January 2008
    Well, after a thoroughly exhausting search (though not necessarily exhaustive), I've found that zero companies will indulge my desires in any real match. My real problem is that my cabling is e-SATA on the bracket to SATA to the drive, and legacy power on the bracket to SATA power on the drive. So I either need to change cables or find an enclosure that essentially contains just SATA and SATA power extenders from the outside of the enclosure inside to the drive itself.

That said, I'm fairly certain I'm never going to find a drive that exactly matches those criteria, so I'm thinking about buying one I like and modding the backplate and the circuitry, which is another thing I figured I'd check in with you guys on. Anybody know any tips on what I'm considering, any place that's a good resource for pinouts when I have to replace the connectors, even where to get the extenders I'm looking for since I'm not looking for bulk purchasing or anything?

Is this even a good idea? Haha, it sounds like fun to me, but it could just as easily be a hell of a pain and end up more expensive than it needs to be. Thoughts?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Am I better off making my own enclosure
    You don't need an enclosure or an adapter! That's why the e-SATA bracket has the MOLEX power connector. It's simplicity defined.

The only precaution I'd have with running a SATA hard drive unenclosed would be the risk of static electricity discharge. I've done that before with PATA drive running outside of the computer case. I reached for it and zapped it with a shock. That instantly caused all reading and writing to cease, and the drive was no longer seen by the OS, but a reboot brought everything back to normal.
    edited January 2008
    Well righto, but that's exactly why I wanted an enclosure. I recognize that I don't need one, and that the stuff I was given is suited to a bare drive, but since I'll be using this fairly regularly, I'd rather stick it in an enclosure and take away the risk altogether, as much risk as can be removed from hard drives, anyway.

The closest, and really the only, thing I can find is this:

17-348-014-04.jpg
    17-348-014-05.jpg
    (Thank you Newegg)

But as you can see, it does, in fact, use its own bracket and cabling. It's only $16 from Newegg, but it's sold out, and if I had to guess, isn't coming back. Guess I'll keep looking.