Computer sounds like a police siren,lol

Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
edited January 2008 in Hardware
:) Oh no my neice phones again,always a computer problem or laptop,I spend hours on the phone explaing things to her.here is the latest:Her husband fiddles inside my neices mums computer last night.I do not know why he took it apart.Now the problem is when her mum turned pc on today it was screaming like a police car siren.(I did my best not to laugh on the phone).The PC was quickly switched off then on again,the noise had gone.I told her a few things to check out first or at least tell her mum to check.Oh dear I feel the computer will be delivered here in the next few day

SOOOOO any one got any ideas I can relay by telephone that they can also try?:bigggrin:

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Check all the fan connections, make sure there's no wires sticking into a fan...Yatta. That's the best advice I can offer without knowing what really happened.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    Ive told her check fans etc,that all leads are correctly connected AND what did her husband do to the PC last night?Unknow why he was fiddling inside computer he just loves to tinker.It is an old computer maybe it is time for a new shop bought or a nice self build?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Hmmm, just a shot in the dark but, a lot of older systems have case intrusion alarms. This setting is configured inside the bios.

Just how loud is this noise?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I had an awesome piercing shriek out of my case one time because I forgot to plug the PCI-e connector back into my graphics card, but given the circumstances, I gather that's not the likely cause. Other than that, yeah, I'd say make sure nothing's sticking into the fan blades and that they're all actually turning.
  • edited January 2008
    shut down the computer. remove power connection. open the lid. remove ram mem ories by cliking together at both ends. and clean the pins with soft tissue and also clean the area were the ram going. then replace the memory back and switch on the computer. if the problem retains then replace the ram memory and see. let me know the pins of ram so that i can send you some for testing
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Whoa, a little too fast there. There are other steps to take before replacing memory. Perhaps a computer will "shriek" because of bad memory, but I've never heard of such before. Also, perhaps that old computer is not worth the expense of purchasing new, but obsolete memory.

I am not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I would like to know the reasoning behind it.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    My hunch is either the case alarm or the CPU fan got unplugged.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    or the CPU fan got unplugged
    Right! Jelly Bean, have the person check the fan on the CPU heatsink. Spinning? If not, have them check the connecting cable. If it is connected and still does not work, have them check for lint and dust, which could prevent it from spinning. None of the above? Maybe a dead fan?

I have no opinion about the case alarm. I have never enabled that and have never even opened a computer on which it was enabled.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:

I have no opinion about the case alarm. I have never enabled that and have never even opened a computer on which it was enabled.

Me either. But I have never heard a component failing that sounded like a police siren does. :confused:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    How fast did the siren come on? Was it instantly or after a minute or so? Even with the CPU fan still pluggged in the HS should still keep it under temps for a minute or so. Some motherboards have a siren when the CPU is overheating. If the HS is no longer seated correctly it doesnt take long for the CPU to overheat and set the siren off, nearly instantly.