Custom case windows...

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited January 2008 in Hardware
hi, Well i now have my cooling sorted out but now i wanna continue the cate modding with some uv lights and fans etc:bigggrin:.
all this would be useless without a case windows so would it be ok to make one? i can get hold of clear acrylic easily but would it be ok to cut the case how i want an make space for a window then screw it in?

Thanks

ohh sorry i spelt the title wrong,

im thinking of getting these to light up all the uv reactive stuff in there and ill get some uv shielding for cables too. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-TWIN-COLD-CATHODE-KIT-UV-12V-NEW_W0QQitemZ230216640181QQihZ013QQcategoryZ75520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Well, you'll eventually get over the whole flashy look so don't make anything perminent. I'd say replace your whole sidepanel with plexi that way you can keep the original. Plexi is also easy to cut with simple tools so you can add fans where you need/want them later on. They're a little more fragile than metal but resist force differently. When I get my 4U I'm gonna go up to hobby lobby and get a quarter inch piece of plexi and cut it to fit in place of the top door so I can add fans, plot out my cooling path, then get a solid piece of sheet steel and do it one time, the right time.

Those are just my thoughts.

Now if you want to go ahead and ruin the panel you have now, all you need is a nice saws all or reciprocating saw in English, plot out the design, cut and then go get a piece of 1/6th plexi, drill holes in the metal that fit up to the plexi, Get some rubber washers and just use either plastic snap holders that you can get in cloth stores, or use screws. Might want to go to Lowes or something and have them make you some to fit the purpose. But always...Always put a rubber washer between metal and plexi so if you start to overtighten it won't crack the plexi right away. Tighten it to 3 pounds if you know your weight, or until it takes a firm grip to adjust the tension. Whamola, you're done.

Custom work comes at a price to be blunt, plexi is an insulator. Steel isn't.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2008
    The first idea is a pretty good one. Therefore like you said if i do get bored i wont have to ruin my case. I'm not too bothered about ruining my case as it is pretty cheap but hey, if you have a better alternative im open to ideas

Ive never heard of plexi... is it perspex or acrylic. If none of those would it be ok to use acrylic instead? also would i have to make all the slots in the plexi for it to fit, the ones at the top and bottom of the case...?

Thanks
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Well, you'll eventually get over the whole flashy look
    Maybe, maybe not. It's a personal preference. I really enjoy looking into my computers. Some like it really flashy, others just want the interior lighted enough so they can see the components. I'm somewhere in the middle. No UV or cold cathodes, but plenty of miniature LEDs, some split loam (sp?), and so forth.

Sure, acrylic will work, but so will Plexiglas. Plexiglas is a little difficult to cut without shattering it, but it's doable. That's what I use.
  • edited January 2008
    I made a window for a case I have, no so much for the window itself but rather to add a 1" spacer to it so I had clearance for taller heatsinks. But I did use Plexiglas for the side after adding the spacer. If you want to see my additions to my case, check out my thread I posted here. The work was a bit time consuming but easy enough to do. :) With the addition of the wood spacer I now have enough room to run just about any hsf being made nowadays.
    edited January 2008
    right, well i have a design and can buy the acrylic but what about scratches, i have a black case so surly i will have to repaint it... or do i just have to be careful when cutting, i also have a case window from an old beige case that i can practice on.

i have attached the design. its only rough but it gives a basic idea.

PS. thanks for correcting the topic title.

edited January 2008
    right, well i have a design and can get the acrylic soon but what about scratches, i have a black case... would i have to repaint it or just be careful when cutting it, i have a old sidepanal for practive on.

a
    ive put the design on my profile as i dont know how to upload images to this forum. its a bit small and rough but it gives a basic idea.
    http://icrontic.com/forum/member.php?u=39598

ps. thanks to whoever corrected the topic title.
    edited January 2008
    woops, posted twice. i though id lost the first post then it shows up just after i post this one.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    i have a old sidepanal for practive on.
    Practice would be a very good idea. How will you cut it? Some people use a Dremel tool. I use a reciprocating saw - jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. I lay down masking tape on the surface where the jigsaw runners rest so the case doesn't get scratched. After the hole is cut I use a drill motor with a deburring bit to even it out and remove burrs. If more work is still needed for a smooth finish, I then use metal files. If you ring the cut edge with with trim, you can't get away with less finish work. I don't use any trim.
    edited January 2008
    yea good idea, what i could do is cut it out like you said carefully, debur it with a dremel and just take good care to not scratch the rest, if i do i could always line the window with somthing interesting to cover it up...