IcronticHQ goes 1080p

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Community
We caved. We caved bad. Super Bowl sales inserts came in the Sunday paper today and ... they were just too good to pass up.

When making a major purchase decision such as buying a 46" 1080p HDTV, you need to do it properly. That is, you need to live the Icrontic life.

Most people would do the research, read what they could, maybe ask some questions on some forums. Solicit opinions from friends, maybe buy a magazine. You know. Normal.

Not Icrontians. No.

We assemble a crack team - one nerd with great credit, one former Best Buy employee and HDTV expert, and a sugar daddy who is going to put up a place to host the beast as well as provide the sundries (like an HDMI PS3 blu-ray player, video game consoles, and movies, cables, etc.)

Oh yes. THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT.

Off to Best Buy we go - cursory sales info and 5 minute web research in our heads.

I'll spare the gory details, which involved buying more than we came for (which is the American way), but in the end we walked out with a gigantic box containing a Samsung 46" 1080p 15000:1 display.

Then we realized that by cramming this beast into Keebler's VW Jetta hatchback, we wouldn't have a seat for a Thrax.

Well, if it comes down to HDTV or Thrax, of course the right choice was TV. Thrax's comfort be damned, we crammed him into a tiny Thrax-sized divot in the very very way back of the car. **** 'im.

Of course, the setup and initial consumption of 300 in 1080p was incredibly sublime, and does not need to be discussed lest we appear to be rubbing it in. All I can say is: HAHAHAH SUCKERS

hdtv1.jpg
Thrax crammed into his pocket o' VW

hdtv2.jpg
We just had no concern at all for his comfort or safety

hdtv3.jpg
Keebler flaccid - post 300

hdtv4.jpg
This is doing it no justice. It must be seen to be believed.

hdtv5.jpg
Thrax gets his Forza II on.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    :respect::clap::rockon::woowoo:
  • pseudonympseudonym
    gets in the car and heads over to prime's
    Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    gets in the car and heads over to prime's
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    pseudonym wrote:
    * pseudonym gets in the car and heads over to prime's
    Are you that guy that used to hang out this us? :ninja:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect
    feels that "friends" will be coming out of the woodwork...
    Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    feels that "friends" will be coming out of the woodwork...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Awwwwww, 46" is cute! Nice job guys! 'Course, it's no 65" slimline LED DLP, but I wouldn't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in or anything either.

Gaming in 1080p is FANTASTIC. Enjoy your purchase. :D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    * primesuspect feels that "friends" will be coming out of the woodwork...

except for thrax it would seem:tongue:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    In b4 the leeches
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited January 2008
    Alright, it's Forza time... If only I still had my saved games I'd be set. It's on though, bitches. Bring...it...on!!!

(Oh, and nice TV btw...but Sharp Aquos pwns all...hehehe) Welcome to the 1080P 46" TV club... I've been lonely since April.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Sharp. Teehee.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    On a side note: Wii in 720p over component looks okay. The lack of antialiasing is pretty stark at 46"..... But still, it looks really good - way, way better than standard def.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I need a new T.V. too, my roommate and I are watching t.v. on a ****box t.v. of her's from the 1980's. It's so old it doesn't even have composite inputs, and we have to switch out the cords whenever we want to watch dvd's versus cable. I want to get a nice a viewsonic 27" 1080i HDTV (it's only $400!) from Costco, but my parents are pitching a hissy fit over me spending money on a tv, since they think that watching tv is a waste of time. (That is why, of course, they are buying a brand new plasma tv for our living room). Anyways, I think the moral of the story here is that someone *cough* should get me a new tv! Any takers? *Bats eyelashes*
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Nice TV. Good choice, too. Samsung makes some hot televisions.
    edited January 2008
    Queenie, if you're going to get HD, DON'T get 1080i. 720p is better than 1080i. 1080i is a sham, I tell you! a sham!
    edited January 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Nice TV. Good choice, too. Samsung makes some hot televisions.

It actually runs quite cool.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    It actually runs quite cool.

:rolleyes::tongue:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    My sister just bought the exact same TV this weekend. Most excellent.

Also, a flaccid Keebs is NOT a fun Keebs.
    edited January 2008
    Anyone notice that the sumo logo spells "owns" upside down? :wtf: i just noticed that.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I think everyone else got that a couple years ago... ;)
    edited January 2008
    Queenie, if you're going to get HD, DON'T get 1080i. 720p is better than 1080i. 1080i is a sham, I tell you! a sham!

That's not what the corporate giants tell me! I must do what they say!
    edited January 2008
    honestly though - 1080i is like 540p... It's a lower resolution than 720P and then it is doubled. It sucks. It's not much of a step above a standard def picture.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I think I should confirm my reservation for the LAN.
    edited January 2008
    OH SURE GARGOYLE. OH SURE.
    edited January 2008
    Well, I don't want the corporations to invade my house and kill me for not doing what they say, so I guess someone else is just going to have to buy the tv for me! I'd love them forever, and bake them steak and ale pie daily if they did. Fo sho. *Bats eyelashes with vigor*
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Well, I don't want the corporations to invade my house and kill me for not doing what they say, so I guess someone else is just going to have to buy the tv for me! I'd love them forever, and bake them steak and ale pie daily if they did. Fo sho. *Bats eyelashes with vigor*

LOL!!

Nice acquisition there boys!
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited January 2008
    Heh, we've had our panasonic 46" 1080p blah blah tv since November..and unfortunately we've been too lazy to call the cable guys to hook us up with HD :rolleyes2 I was hoping to have it by the super bowl..dunno if it's going to happen.

It's quite exciting getting a tv like that, good going guys :D enjoy
    edited January 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    LOL!!

Nice acquisition there boys!

you mean the TV, or Gnome_queen? ;);D
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2008
    I went 1080p for Xmas, but just got it installed a couple weeks ago. I still have to add my media PC and a back to the cabinet.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Looks nice prime. Me and a brother went to bestbuy yesterday too. We made out with a 42" LG. It is nice, but haven't had a chance to see it since we have to drive back up and get it on wednesday since they were out of stock. He really wanted a 46" but it was too much.

I can't wait to see the 360 and ps3 at 1080p
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited January 2008
    Well I got a 42" plasma 15000:1 1080p for just $850.00 at best buy a few weeks ago.
    HDMI & xbox 360 sweet. :D:D:D:smiles:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    is that true contrast ratio or just some marketing buzz?