Dishonest Nerds?

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
I saw a video in tech class today about how some computer techs from places like geek squad try to rip you off and steal your information.

IE they had a computer with a RAM issue, and like 6 out of 10 geeks said it was a mobo / hdd issue...one said the cost was 2k dollars and he needed to copy the whole hard drive to his comp. Others went digging though private files for unknown reasons.

The geek squad guy spent 9 minutes trying to diagnoes the problem "he said mobo" and 2 hours tring to sell the person a computer from bestbuy.com.

Is this really that common of a practice?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    As a former geek squad member: No.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I just applied to work on the geek squad so I hope not.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Does that sound like it would be common?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna go with: "Wouldn't surprise me". Final answer.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    As a former manager of a Geek Squad I can say that this is either not all that common or the dozens of other GS managers I worked closely with over the course of 2 years never mentioned it, which I find hard to believe. We constantly discussed the best ways to increase margins and revenue in order to win contests, prizes, and bonus checks. I think "lie through your teeth and invade privacy" would have come up. I had my issues with BBY's management of Geek Squad, but the three districts I was at some time a member of were big on organic growth, i.e. taking very good care of the customers you have.

That being said, any poorly managed individual department could easily get out of control regarding privacy, honesty, etc... and that is not limited to places like Geek Squad & FireDog, but includes even "mom and pop" shops.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Word. I should mention that I was a supervisor for GS in two separate districts, under two radically different management styles. In both cases, organic growth -- taking AWESOME care of the customer -- was the name of the game. Give the person what they need to repair, and offer what they <i>need</i> to not come back. I gave my customers the same level of service I do here: I do everything in my power to fix your problem, and try to encourage habits and solutions that'll prevent it from happening again.

Any group of people can run afoul of its goals, but GS is a community of geeks, just like IC. It has its own forums, tip boards, etcetera.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I've run into one problem with my local GS, but overall my experiences have been good. The problem came from a cocky kid who thought he knew everything (he had to be straightened out by his manager), but I haven't seen anything dishonest go on. Granted, I've only used them for insurance quotes for repairs, but I don't know of anyone personally who has been ripped off by them.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I saw a video in tech class today
    I hope it wasn't one of those superficial television smear jobs like "60 Minutes." Sure, there's fraud and excessive greed in the computer repair industry, but sleaze can be found in every industry.

Do Internet searches and you'll find several forums where BB present and former Geek Squad members discuss the issue.

It's just like car repair shops - mainly honest people but a number of nasties in the mix.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    I agree Leo,

I doubt it's just geeks that do it.. Others that do this type of thing is plumbers, mechanics. etc.

Just have to be careful I guess.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's just like car repair shops - mainly honest people but a number of nasties in the mix.
    And, some who will charge you more than necessary, but often that's incompetence rather than abuse. E.g.: the cable is defective, but they can't figure it out and say the mobo is bad.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    And, some who will charge you more than necessary, but often that's incompetence rather than abuse. E.g.: the cable is defective, but they can't figure it out and say the mobo is bad.

I've never heard of that happening at a garage. :P
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited January 2008
    What do you call this PC service ?
    Ripoff, dishonest figure, abuse, dumb, confused, bad car driver, or something
    that I cant write due to the forum rules .... :D

House of Horrors PC Repair Man (Cowboy Ripoff) Part 1 of 2
    House of Horrors PC Repair Man (Cowboy Ripoff) Part 2 of 2

Assault on 'conman' was self-defence