Brand new 2 custom computers wont boot

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I just got done building 2 computers, I checked everything, & they both wont boot or give beep codes.

The 1st computer is a -

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz Processor
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard, NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID
XFX GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready, DVI, VGA, HDTV, Video Card
Corsair XMS2 DHX 2048MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
Samsung SH-S183L SATA LightScribe OEM Burner - 18x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R Dual Layer, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x40 CD-R, 32x40 CD-RW, Black
Ultra / X-Connect V-Series ( XVS) / 400-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / Modular Power Supply
Maxtor Basic 300GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, ATA-133, IDE, with Serial-ATA to IDE Adapater
Maxtor Basic 300GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, ATA-133, IDE,
This one has a yellow light on the inside of it, it turns on when I push the power button on the PC, what does that mean.

The 2nd computer is a -

Intel Pentium D 925 Dual Core 3.0GHz 800MHz 2x2MB LGA775 CPU OEM
Ultra Blue MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower with 450 Watt Power Supply
with a Serial-ATA to IDE Adapater
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Core 2 Duo 945GC/FSB 1333 Motherboard
Maxtor Basic 300GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, ATA-133, IDE, with Serial-ATA to IDE Adapater
EVGA 256-P2-N732-LR GeForce 8400 GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card Retail
Linksys Wifi card, WMP54G

no power on either of these computers, but for the 1st computer where it has a blue light & a yellow light when I push the power button, like I said above.

Thank you,
Michael
MRGTec

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Some questions first. We don't know your skill level, so please don't be annoyed if we ask what might seem obvious:

Did you use the motherboard standoffs?
    Are you sure the the cables form the case front panel to the motherboard front panel header, such as the on/off switch cable, are aligned properly on the panel pins?

Did you connect all the motherboard power cables from the PSU: ATX, P4/EPS12 (8-pin)?

When you attempt to power up the computer(s), do the fans come on?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2008
    not 100% sure, but i think i remember reading somewhere that the 680i is not compatible with intel's newest 45nm "wolfdale" c2d's...i.e your e8400. and no BIOS updates to support them either. this is what the 780i is for apparently.

someone correct me if i am wrong.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    That is correct.
    //EDIT: For quads. Dunno about duos.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Wolfdale runs fine on 680i with the proper bios update, if the board manufacturer has the right spec VRM's on the board.

Striker, EVGA reference, other Abit and DFI 680i boards run the Wolfie's just fine.

680i will not run the Yorkfield Quads.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2008
    ok, so he needs a BIOS update to support the e8400. mrgtec you could swap the cpu from the other pc (pentium d 925), flash the BIOS on your xfx 680i, and then switch back to the e8400.

so no 45nm quad support at all for 680i...i knew it was something like that!
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Some questions first. We don't know your skill level, so please don't be annoyed if we ask what might seem obvious:

Did you use the motherboard standoffs?

Are you sure the the cables form the case front panel to the motherboard front panel header, such as the on/off switch cable, are aligned properly on the panel pins?

Did you connect all the motherboard power cables from the PSU: ATX, P4/EPS12 (8-pin)?

When you attempt to power up the computer(s), do the fans come on?

Hi,

What are standoffs?

Yes, I have plugged them twice now.

Yes. I did.

Yes, on both PCs the fans spin for about 1 sec.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Stand offs are the little things you screw into the case, then mount the motherboard on. You didn't just screw the motherboard to the case, right?
  • edited January 2008
    I used the standoffs. I didn't screw the motherboard directly to the case.
  • edited February 2008
    This exact same problem was happening to my friend, it was faulty ram. Put a stick in from an old computer thats compatible and you know that works and use it.

Btw you never mentioned what power supply you are using for them.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I now (after nearly loosing my mind) always boot mobos outside of the case.
    Video card, one stick of ram, PSU, and make sure that it works. This is the time to find BIOS issues and memory problems.