Water Damage

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Good Morning to all.

I am a newbie and need help last night one of my kids spilt my glass of water
away from the computer phew! so i cleaned it up and everything was fine.

I finished using the computer about half an hour later, then put it into standby as usual it went into standby no proplem. i got up this morning and noticed
that only the power button was green no half moon, so i pressed the power button several times and nothing. Can't belive that i forgot to check under the computer yes water,so my computer has been sat in a small amount of water:o
overnight and it's totaly dead. i have an IBM R42 laptop. Please please can anyone help me.:sad2:

Thanks in advance

Chico

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Dry thoroughly and hope for the best...
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Water damage can be bad, but my tech teacher says that you would be suprised what is blow-dryer safe....

If it's really not working and you have immediate access to another computer, you might want to look up how to open the laptop and blowdry it down and let it sit open (hey, if it dosent work in the first place, not more harm can be done to itP) in a low-humidity, low sunlight area to dry for a day or two, no guarantees, though.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks Guys

Yeah i took the batery out and blow dryed what i could, but now i will take it apart and let it dry for a day or too.

Thanks again!

Chico
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Better than 50-50 odds it will still work just fine. Look online for the service manual. You need to dismantle more than the battery bay.
  • edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Better than 50-50 odds it will still work just fine. Look online for the service manual. You need to dismantle more than the battery bay.

Hi Leonardo

Ok i was just undoing the back when all of a sudden it went peep and the fan came on...yessss so i did the back up and prayed then it went into We appologies for the inconvenience etc, i then pressed safe mode and after 30 secs it came back to the safe mode screen again so i started it in start windows normally same again. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Chico
  • edited January 2008
    Like they said let it dry out and leave it turned off and unplugged, take battery out etc. Letting it start when its wet can cause more damage like my Ipod :(
    My Ipod doesnt work anymore and its probably because of me using it while it was still wet.
  • edited January 2008
    i just started it in Last known good config. Then i got a corrupt message saying windows root \system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file. Is that something that i will find in my Windows 2003 XP disc??

Thanks

Chico
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Please please let it dry for a few days first.
  • edited January 2008
    Sniper sorry to hear about your Ipod:sad2: and thanks. OK guy's turned off, you are right you can never be too careful. Is that a windows config file?
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    chico wrote:
    Sniper sorry to hear about your Ipod:sad2: and thanks. OK guy's turned off, you are right you can never be too careful. Is that a windows config file?

aye, it is...hard drive damage, perhaps?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Grab SeaTools, burn the ISO to CD and boot from it. Even if it's not a Seagate drive, it should still allow you to test the drive. I use it often, and it's fairly quick.

If you get off with just a fubar'd HDD, then you're lucky. :)

Just wait for it to dry! ;)