WIN SMP folders read this now

SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
edited February 2008 in Folding@Home
the curent win SMP client expires at midnight, if you stop it it will not restart.
this is from kasson at the fco
We have most of the beta clients ready for release; the Windows SMP beta is one that we're still working on. We hope to have it soon and apologize for the delay. One week early is certainly our target--things are a bit tighter than we'd like this time around.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=726

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Oh, thank you for the warning. Cross my fingers that there's no power loss in the next few days.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I always shut down the client to fly my flight sim in the evenings. On that note ...if the SMP doesn't restart (which it shouldn't) then that means I will be down for a week since I am going on vacation. So if my production lags that is why.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2008
    new beta is up just in time :bigggrin:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    that would be beta 6 correct? I noticed that but I wasn't sure which I already had. Thank goodness ...so scratch my previous post regarding lag! :csimon:
    edited February 2008
    Beta 6 installation on five machines as soon as I get home! Fortunately, there've been no power outages in the last few days. All clients have been cranking away faithfully.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    is there a changelog?
    edited February 2008
    no changelog just this from kasson
    The Windows SMP client v5.91beta6 is now posted. This client has one substantial change--it checks on startup to make sure mpiexec can run. Hopefully this will clarify of the install/configuration problems and provide guidance to users on how to fix them.

(The underlying issues with mpiexec are inherent to the MPI libraries and not to FAH; we may at some point switch MPI libraries, but debugging the libraries is beyond our scope.)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    Dang...my Quad machine has log files with sizes over 1.2mb, havent stopped the client in months. I guess if they havent gone down yet they wont for awhile. A good reason to OC it some more and put it in a case. :)
    edited February 2008
    save logfiles and work folder and replace them after reinstall should just pickup the lot of them
    edited February 2008
    Interesting incident last night when I updated my computers with the new 5.91 beta6 client. One of my Q6600/Abit IP354-E rigs would corrupt work units as fast as I could engage the clients. I got the 0x7b error consistently. I had a hard time believing there was a hardware fault because the machine had been folding perfectly with beta5. I exchanged the A-Data DDR2 800 with G.Skill DDR2 800 from one of my D930/Asus machines and the folding immediately worked properly again. The D930 rig with the swapped out A-Data is also folding without problems.

Strange.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2008
    OK, assuming there's an idiot here who's unsure as to how to install the new client, and, assuming he's already running SMP, and, wants to know if he has to delete anything or just install the new one.
    What would you tell him?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    it automatically uninstalls the old, keeps the wu/queue.

you'll need to re-run the install.bat file, though.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2008
    Ah, installed but lost a WU that was at 44%. I'd changed the PCs date to keep the old client folding. Installed the new one, changed the date to the correct one. Folding reports the deadline has passed for the WU and has trundled off and got a new one.
    Still, it's all working.
    Thanks.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    Does this client work as a service yet?
    edited February 2008
    not officially supported no, but some folks have it working as a service.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    I've just installed the SMP client from the FAH download page. Seems to be working ok? Will see how it goes :)
    edited February 2008
    If it's working right from the start, then you should be golden.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, at work and I can't see a c hange in WU / Score. Not sure if it is working then as it was a good 12 hours + I set it up.. Will look into it tomorrow.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Check out F@HMon.
    http://fahmon.net/

Install it and point it to your F@H directory and it will show you the WU progress, how long it's been going, how long till it's done and roughly how many points per day you're getting from it.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Damn! Just noticed that there is a new SMP client. I've been going almost two weeks without folding :(. Guess I'll have to install when i get home in a few hours.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Jimmy you are all I've got! I'll try to get something going for my quad so that I can get some more WU's sent in, but 'till then we've got just one horse to ride.

Maybe you should get Mike back folding consistent. Anyways thanks for carrying me in the folding dept. ;)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    Jimmy you are all I've got! I'll try to get something going for my quad so that I can get some more WU's sent in, but 'till then we've got just one horse to ride.

Maybe you should get Mike back folding consistent. Anyways thanks for carrying me in the folding dept. ;)

LOL. Why haven't you started yet? Get that thing cranking out some WU's! I might try to get mike folding, we'll see. You need to get high speed at your house!

Edit: Got the SMP installed and am 2% done with a 1760 point WU.