New Computer, Ready to Order, final recomendations

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Nice list. I would {if you can afford it} go for 4 GB of Ram. Just a thought; or you could upgrade that later. I am running a P4(630)64Bit 3.0Ghz with 2 gb of ram and it runs beautifully.I imagine that Quad would just love 4Gb of Ram HHMMM! Can never have too much ram IMHO.
    Enjoy the new Computer ABF!
    Cheers!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'm not going 64 bit though so 4GB would just be a waste.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'de lose the raptor and get a 8800gt.

32 bit xp will only map like 3.8gb of memory max so you can have too much ram IMHO.

And, for the mobo. Are you going to be doing any OC'ing?
    edited February 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']I'de lose the raptor and get a 8800gt.

32 bit xp will only map like 3.8gb of memory max so you can have too much ram IMHO.

And, for the mobo. Are you going to be doing any OC'ing?

..my bads I thought 32 bit supported 4 gigs.
    edited February 2008
    Vista or Xp ABF?
    edited February 2008
    Probably xp. maybe vista. Haven't really decided yet. I don't game a whole lot so I'd rather have a faster drive because I do a lot of work where a fast drive would be appreciated.

And any 32 bit opperating system should have 2^32 bits of addressing space == 4096 MB of space. But if I remember correctly windows will only allocate up to 2GB to one application unless you use the /3gb switch. Without that I think anything over 2GB goes to the windows executive services (kernel). I'm not sure. I may just get it anyway. It's only another $25. I'm going to be virtualizing some systems so it will be appreciated.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Do you have a Costco in your area? If yes, scrap that Westinghouse 24" from your list right now, drive down to Costco, and pick up a Samsung 24" 245BW for the same price. Costco's guarantee means you can return it if you don't like it. Yeah, just try that with Newegg. Andy, I have a 245BW, and unless you look at it from strange angles, it's a very, very good monitor. I've seen the Westinghouse monitors in stores, and was not impressed. But then, they were all connected to those awful multi-path AGP splitters.

Ditch the AS Ceramique paste and get Tuniq TX-2 -- superior performance and instant optimum performance. It requires no curing time. Arctic Silver is no longer the only game (and hasn't been for a while now). I use TX-2 on all my CPUs, and nearly all GPUs and NB chips.
    edited February 2008
    Awesome. Let me check and see if there is a costco in the area.

Nope, none in oklahoma.

But I did just order it. Free shipping, but the damn 5% fee, oh well. It was only $20 and they wanted $50 for membership. No thanks. I would have ended up paying more. I even got free shipping so it's about the same either way. $420 shipped.

I have a Samsung 205BW right now and have never been unimpressed with it. I just want something bigger and 1080p
    edited February 2008
    245BW, the only negative I have with mine is a little more backlight bleed than I'm comfortable with, but then, it only shows when the screen has a black background. The TN panel is restrictive, in that colors wash and the picture is blurred if you aren't looking on at an even plane, but I don't sit an angle to the monitor. Not a problem for me.

The colors are very, very close to natural after calibrating and are vibrant. Text is some of the sharpest I've seen with any monitor. The OSD is easy to navigate and works well. Base is very sturdy. It's just all around a great monitor.
    edited February 2008
    Soo.. I'm guess the P5K-E it is?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    Ok, 32bit OSes can only map 4096MB physical memory. Minus what your processor has 1mb~4mb, Video card's, memory (128-1GB). What you have left over is mappable physical memory. If you have a 512mb card, you can only have 3.5gb memory, if your processor has a 1mb cache.

Just figured I'd clear that up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Only 32bit Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista 32 bit can't map more than 4gb. Windows XP SP0 32b, Linux 32b and Win 2003 32b can all do it.
    edited February 2008
    ....from Microsoft Support

Here's a list of how much RAM the various Windows versions and editions support (as of Nov 2004):

Windows NT 4.0: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Professional: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Standard Server: 4 GB
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8GB
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 32GB
    Windows XP Professional: 4 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: 2 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: 4 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: 32 GB
    Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition: 64 GB

Link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223
    edited February 2008
    I need a motherboard damnit!
    edited February 2008
    I need a motherboard damnit!

:horrified:..... did get a little off topic....:bigggrin:
    ...but XP Pro will address 4 GB.

P5K-E= I have been hearing good reviews on this board.
    edited February 2008
    Well. I took the plunge and ordered my new computer:D

I hope it's fast.
    edited February 2008
    Good! Have fun. You know we stand ready to assist if there are any problems.
  • edited February 2008
    Looks nice, just get it.
    edited February 2008
    Gappleage wrote:
    Looks nice, just get it.
    Well. I took the plunge and ordered my new computer
    edited February 2008
    Hope you have fun with your new machine. T'is a great day when yonder computer arrives for enjoyment Yarr.!!!!!!!!!!