Unknown PC Problem

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I heard you really know your stuff, so I'm bringing my problem to you all.
I have been having some issues with my PC. I'm think it's either my motherboard, or video card. I'm running XP, on a Pentium D 3.40 processor, ECS 945P-A I945P Chipset LGA775 1066FSB motherboard, and Nvidia 7900GT 256mb video card. My system is virus free, and all my drivers are up to date.

So here's my problem,

Whenever I play a game, (CoD4, TF2, CS:S), my system crashes or glitches out. These are all games I played flawlessly only a few months ago. But if the system doesn't crash, the glitches start up. Mainly in the form of big spikes sticking out of player models, and from points in the game (points = lamp posts, guns, corners). It doesn't seem to be a heat problem, as my system doesn't get over 100F very often. As a side note, my system is also being super slow, like the processor is bogged down with some other action, (which it is not). I checked all my voltages on my CPU and stuff, and they all seem normal.

But then here is my mother board issue,
A while back one of my PCI slots died, and also one of my hard drives was wiped clean. That's when most of these problems with all the glitches and stuff started, after I switched to my other PCI slot. And the other week, the fan plugged into my motherboard (not my CPU fan) stopped working too, along with a power cable I used for another fan. So it makes me think there's a short somewhere. I know this isn't a lot of information to go on here, but mainly I want to know if the problems are coming from my motherboard, video card, or both. Any comments would be a great help. I can post more system information if needed.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Traditionally, spikes sticking out from player models indicate that your GPU is too hot, too overclocked, or simply dying.

Given your other issues however, it seriously sounds like your motherboard is going over. However, I suggest you replace the vid card temporarily to see if that solves your issues.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    With the other issues, sounds like mobo dying. You may not be delivering full power, this would cause all kinds of problems. You have a lot of options for a new mobo.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    You have a lot of options for a new mobo.
    Indeed. The socket 775 motherboard field, all of which is compatible/backwards compatible to Pentium D is rich with options. You can get very high quality boards for very little money. Recommend you select a board that will accept Intel quad CPUs - look for a new release P35 or X38 chipset board. The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 is very popular and has an excellent reliability and stability record. It's also a decent overclocker if you get into that.