Laptop Recommendations

ButtersButters CA Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
There was a thread back in the old IC about laptops, so obviously when I need it it's not there.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a laptop manufacturer and or good laptop website?

I'm not looking for a mainstream laptop, so Dell, Gateway, HP, Tosh, Sony, and PowerBooks, etc are out of the question. I can do the research on them on my own.

What I am looking for is a 'falcon northwest or alien pc' type of company for the laptop industry.

Thanks, Butters

Comments

• DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    I've heard sager does a decent job... look into alienware laptops as well. #1 rule when asking someone to find something you would want to buy is to tell them your budget so i ask you... what is your budget?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Go for a Sager- www.powernotebooks.com

The Sagers are IDENTICAL to the Alienware and Voodoo laptops, except for the fancy paint and ludicrous prices. I have one and I really, really like it. Check them out.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    how's the battery life on that monster?

I've got a toshiba and the speakers are great for a laptop (harmon kardon).
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Eh... the battery life isn't bad, unless you're gaming. I can get (as I recall... I haven't used it unplugged for months- literally) 2-4hrs with 2 batteries doing word processing, spreadsheets, etc. depending on screen brightness, whether my old Lucent .11b card is in, etc. When playing games with headphones and the max. screen brightness, 1hr or less is what you can expect to be normal, with 1.5-2hrs possible in some not-3d-intensive games...

Listened to one of those Toshibas with the sub @ Fry's. Personally, I don't think it sounded much better, if better at all, than the speakers on the Sager, which are very impressive for laptop speakers...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The problem with the toshiba speakers is that they project almost all the sound upwards, and very little back towards the user. It's really annoying if someone else is listening to music, playing a game, or w/e. Just something to check out when you look @ the laptop.