It appears Phenoms may be shipping with bad cores

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
This really looks terrible: here, here, and here

There are just too many reports for this to be isolated cases. It would seem to me that this shouldn't be a surprise AMD. Quality control for any high tech product (and even low tech) includes detailed, rigorous testing samplings from the production line. I think AMD was aware of this problem but thought they could get away with it. Will they get away with it - in other words, replace bad processors but not lose more respect? Is it a knee jerk reaction to think AMD is now run by clowns? Are they desperate?

Let's see: Phenom delayed, "errata" announced (smoke screen?), Phenom limited to 2.4GHz, 3-core CPUs announced, lots of reports of unstable Phenoms even at default clock.

Thanks to overclockers.com for bringing this news to my attention.

Take a look:
So for the money I spent, I got a functional and overclockable tri core cpu with an additional crippled core. This leads me to believe that the tri-core cpus will be capable of 2.6-3.0 speeds quite easily. Considering this issue is becoming more well-known by the day, AMD is facing a ticking timebomb in terms of when the major sites like THG will have a field day with this.