Anyone running a Q9450 yet?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Folding@Home
2.66GHz, 4 Cores, 45nm with 12mb cache.

Looks like it will kick ass, smaller die size, cooler, more overclock and 50% more cache than the Q6600.

My upgrade wheel is turning, but my build another system wheel is also turning...

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    Pfft for the price of one of those...could it towards more than 1 Q66 machine.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    My upgrade wheel is turning
    That is a dangerous phase of the cycle...for any of us.

I'd wait a while for the Q9450 to see what revisions have the overclocking headroom and for prices to moderate. You might even consider a Q6600. Their prices will certainly come down once the Yorkfields are available in quantity.

I have no doubt that the 9450 will be a monster of an SMP folder. It wouldn't surprise that if overclocked, running two clients, it would be capable of 5500 PPD.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    Oh wow I thought it was going to be much more than the Q66.

Some on back order here:
    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=0110030005019_BQ32442P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    "Look before you leap."

Pro tip.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    Oh wow I thought it was going to be much more than the Q66.

Some on back order here:
    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=0110030005019_BQ32442P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID

My bad, I should have mentioned price. NCIX is listing them for $367, which is still less than I paid for my E6600.

I am looking at building a new PC to display HD video on a new TV that I'm looking at, so it's not buying just for the sake of buying, but I could get away with running the TV off of a lesser CPU, but where's the fun in that, and how is it going to help keep Leo off my back :D
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'll wait for the the cost of Quads to go down and my current funds to go up before I get one :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I am looking at building a new PC to display HD video on a new TV that I'm looking at, so it's not buying just for the sake of buying, but I could get away with running the TV off of a lesser CPU
    Why don't you build a system for a 45nm Yorkfield, except keep using your E6600, which you could swap out later in an upgrade when the Q9xxx series are stabilized in price? I would imagine their prices will fall 25-30% within nine months when they are available in volume and when the higher speed versions appear. I waited a year before I upgraded my Pentium Ds to Q6600s. (still running two Pentium D930s)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I sold my E6600 to a buddy when I got my first Q6600.