Win XP blocked

DanDan
edited February 2008 in Hardware
I have an Asus a7v333 motherboard with a raid MB FastTrack133 tm Lite Bios Version 2.00.1.23 that ran very smooth for couple years with 2 of 80 GB HDD WD in stripe mode(raid 0).Suddenly the XP PRO blocked and can't boot or repair any more. Although the stripe array show as Functional, the system blocks immediately after this message when I want to repair or recover:Examining disk configuration and then it shows an unlimited Examining 152634 MB Disk0 at Id0 on bus0 on Fasttrack...
So I can't get to give a chkdsk /r.
Can you give me some help on how can I recover my data ?
Thank you .I'll appreciate.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    I don't know how to fix your problem. I just feel like saying this.

Raid 0 is fast - but - never run Raid 0 without backups, it's unreliable for long term use and 1 failed drive kills the array. It should also never be used for the OS drive because the caching that the OS does murders the raid even more. The fact that you have had no noticed problem for a couple years doesn't mean the problem wasn't building.

Seriously Raid 0 is the suck in most environments.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    First off... Since you're running RAID-0, the odds of recovering the operating system is very small. The data can always be recovered, at a price. The last quote I received for a RAID-0 recovery was about $3500. So, to answer your question, the data can be recovered but is it worth it?

In order to determine what is wrong, we first need to test each hard drive to determine if one of them is bad. Download and burn the Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics ISO and run it on each hard drive. Do you know how to burn an ISO image to CD?If you don't let us know and we can walk you through that process.
  • DanDan
    edited February 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    In order to determine what is wrong, we first need to test each hard drive to determine if one of them is bad. Download and burn the Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics ISO and run it on each hard drive. Do you know how to burn an ISO image to CD?If you don't let us know and we can walk you through that process.

First thank you for your suport.
    Second i put the second HDD on a non raid controller and tested with data lifeguard diagnostics for DOS(floppy) Version 5.04f.
    The results:
    -quick test succesfully after 5 min.
    -extended test
    estimated time 00:26:13
    After half an hour estimated time remaining 00:04:13
    After 01:05:41 elapsed time the remaining time still 00:04:13
    I tried ALT-X to abord no chance.So power off.
    I'll get the first HDD on the same non raid controller and tested:
    The results:
    -quick test error 007 after 2 min.
    -extended test NO ERRORS FOUND CODE 0000 after 33 min.
    I ran the quick test once again and no errors this time
    my conclusion:
    The second hard drive have a problem.What kind ? I don't know.There was no error code. Just the test process HANG.

OK.A last shoot.I put the drives back on raid controller I made a big Cross HELP GOD over and start the system. It booted ok.
    Anyway the problem detected when tested remain. What is it ?
    Was it a problem also on the first drive ? Er CODE 007 quick test?
    Thank you for your help.
    Maybe I can find the answer for these last questions.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    OK.A last shoot.I put the drives back on raid controller I made a big Cross HELP GOD over and start the system. It booted ok.
    If your data is still accessible, immediately back it up to DVDs or another, single HDD. Remove RAID 0 from your system and never use it again. At its best, RAID 0 doubles your chances of corrupting files and losing data.

I ran RAID 0 systems until about five years ago. I have never gone back and have never wanted to. If you really think RAID improves a home PCs performance in an appreciable way, then use RAID 0+1 or better.

RAID 0 is simply testing fate.