Dell Desktop Won't Start

edited February 2008 in Hardware
It's a dell Desktop Model No. DHM Serial No. 2SV2T31
Like this one, just more messed up
1550644bv5.th.jpg
And the thing is it won't start. I plugged it in, tried to turn it on, the light in the machine would come on but then turn itself right off and the monitor light just flashes on and off, any suggestions as to what my problem could be?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Power supply.
  • edited February 2008
    Know where I could get one cheap?
  • edited February 2008
    To be on the safe side, try and see if it is the PSU.

PSU is short for Power Supply Unit if you're wondering

You can do this by taking a metal wire/paper clip and stick the first end in the green wire connector of the PSU ATX and the other end on a black wire connector.

The PSU ATX(Only name I know of) looks like this
    http://www.nordichardware.se/skrivelser_img/220/psu.atx.jpg

This will trick the PSU that it has been turned on and you will see if it's working or not. Not sure if it's safe and don't want to take my word for it?
    Wait for someone to say that it's safe or ask someone.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    DnD, if you'd like a recommendation for a suitable PSU, please post your system specifications. Please also let us know what, if any hardware upgrades you might have in mind for the future for the same machine.
  • edited February 2008
    I don't know much about it, but here's what I know
    It's a Dell Optiplex GX270, XP Pro, about 256mb, I don't know about the cpu (as I got it from a friend) and I think the hd is probably a 40gb.
    You can do this by taking a metal wire/paper clip and stick the first end in the green wire connector of the PSU ATX and the other end on a black wire connector.

And to try this, I'm assuming it has to be connected to a power outlet right? I just want to be sure to do things right before trying that out.
  • edited February 2008
    And to try this, I'm assuming it has to be connected to a power outlet right?

Yes, just disconnect all the cables from the computer devices(Motherboard, etc.)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    WHOA... GX270 (and GX260) have a severe problem with capacitors. First, unplug the power, open the case up and look at the capacitors. I've worked on at least 30 GX260/GX270s with bad caps. Check that first.

Normal capacitors look like this... Flat tops, no bulging and no residue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24844&stc=1&d=1203266402

Bad caps look like this... Crusty stuff on top and bulging. They do NOT need to have the crusty stuff but they may just be bulging.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24843&stc=1&d=1203266262

Next... If they look fine, fire up the system and look at the four error LED's on the back of the computer. They will be marked "A" "B" "C" "D". They will either be orange, green, or not lit. Check out this page from Dell to diagnose the problem based on those LEDs.
  • edited February 2008
    Some of the capacitors have that orangy residue on them (not all, but most of them) now being that they don't look fine... what are my remaining options? And about those 4 error LED's in the back, I can't find them.
    edited February 2008
    The caps are bad and that means that the motherboard is shot. Call Dell. Even if the warranty has expired you may still get a replacement. This is a MAJOR problem for Dell and many other manufacturers. Pull a sob story and hope. If not, plan on spending about $200 to replace the board. Sorry. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Good call, Q! :)
  • edited February 2008
    Would I then have to replace both motherboard and the psu? Just one, or the other? I have a motherboard, a cpu and a cooling fan brand new, not specifically for this type of machine, but I'm wondering if I can somehow put them in, would they work/not work or would I still need the psu?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    Ok. Let's go over the whole thing. What's in that list of stuff you have to use? What motherboard, chip and so on..Then the power supply. What's the sticker say? We're looking for 12V amps and sustained wattage.
  • edited February 2008
    I believe it's a Biostar M7NCG 400 400MHz motherboard, (1) AMD Sempron 3300+ Socket A CPU and (1) Ultra Fire Sempron - Athlon XP CPU Cooler, all new.
    edited February 2008
    DumNDuMMer wrote:
    Would I then have to replace both motherboard and the psu? Just one, or the other? I have a motherboard, a cpu and a cooling fan brand new, not specifically for this type of machine, but I'm wondering if I can somehow put them in, would they work/not work or would I still need the psu?
    Normally the Dell Motherboard is the only problem. I'd check with Dell first. If not, the case is NOT standard so a replacement motherboard is useless unless you are an amazing case modifier. The CPU, Memory, Video card, cables, drives, and everything should be usable. I would dump the power supply if you plan on using that Biostar though. Dell PSU suck and are underpowered.
    edited February 2008
    Good call, Q! :)
    Thanks... guess working with them everyday kinda makes you an unofficial expert. :)
  • edited February 2008
    I guess I'll look for a cheap psu on ebay, thanks to everyone for the help!
    edited February 2008
    ??? The power supply may not be bad... The motherboard is definitely bad. I would stay AWAY from ebay for a power supply. How much are you looking to spend on a power supply?
  • edited February 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ??? The power supply may not be bad... The motherboard is definitely bad. I would stay AWAY from ebay for a power supply. How much are you looking to spend on a power supply?
    I'm looking in between a range of Free and about $50 or so, I don't wanna spend more than I need to to fix it when it's not worth that much itself.
    edited February 2008
    Again... why the power supply?
    edited February 2008
    As for a Power supply... While I'm not an expert, this power supply from Thermaltake is highly rated and is only $39.99 with free shipping.

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC