SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited December 2003 in Hardware
Found this over at 2CPU.co.kr.

Holy Mackinaw!

More high-resolution pictures available at: Tyan S4880 4-Way Opteron Board

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Good luck finding a case for that. Maybe it uses the old Full AT mount scheme, so if you've got a Full AT case you might be able to mount it.

BTW, I've only ever _heard_ of those cases. I've _seen_ a couple motherboards that use them (they've got PCI about where that leftmost pair of DIMM slots are in your photo), but never a case.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    Drasnor, I can find a case for that no problem.

Regardless, I'm pissed... where's the AGP slot?!?!?! :D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Don't tell me you need an agp slot for that board Geeky. DANG what a board! 4 SATA, Dual SCSI and the regular 2 Ide ports. Rage XL as the video.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    WOOOOOWEE.

I love Tyan. :D
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    *spurge*

Ew.. um.. nice board!
    edited December 2003
    Mackanz...
    What good is ANY board without an AGP slot? Even my servers need DX9-class graphics :D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    isn't that 64x66 pci that i see? by next year you'll be able to get dx9 video that will work there i think.

I just don't want to think about the power requirements.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    edcentric had this to say
    isn't that 64x66 pci that i see? by next year you'll be able to get dx9 video that will work there i think.

I just don't want to think about the power requirements.

Jigawatts Marty!
    edited December 2003
    64x66 PCI is only 528 MB/s of bandwidth (8 bytes x 66MHz).

AGP 8X is 2.1GB/s.

You'll never see a new video card on 64/66 PCI slots.

You will however see DX9 and 10 cards on PCI Express, and maybe PCI-X (Not to be confused with Express).
    edited December 2003
    There will never be 64 bit PCI graphics cards, for the reason that thrax stated.

But I do need an AGP slot... If you think I'd use this as a server, you're insane. I'd use it as a desktop :crazy:. I'd have to run W2K/2k3 Advanced Server, but still... :D
  • pcscustompcscustom Oklahoma
    edited December 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    Found this over at 2CPU.co.kr.

Holy Mackinaw!

Haha, i think the proper term is holy ****!!! What would you put that damn thing in a card board box?? hell it looks like maybe a maytag box would be sufficent!

Trev
    edited December 2003
    Honestly you guys, :rolleyes: it looks like just a normal e-atx board to me. If so, it's not hard to find a case to put it in... I've got two that take e-atx boards without a problem, and you can get ones that'll take boards with up to 20 card slots, so...
    edited December 2003
    Tyan's twin-Opteron K8W board maxes the eATX footprint, and it only has two CPUs and 8 DIMM channels. This has 10, 4 sockets, plus 64/66 PCI slots, etc.

I reckon it's bigger.
    edited December 2003
    True; it could be bigger. If it is though, getting a case for it still isn't a problem.

Enter the Chenbro Ultra SR-101107, the case I used for that budget buster pc article:
    http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.cfm?prodid=470

Big case gooooooooood :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Well, it looks like the s2880's big brother, adn teh Tyan s2880 has two PCI-X 100\66\33 MHz capable sockets, two PCI-X 66\33 sockets, and one PCI 33\32 legacy socket.

So, if they did not REMOVE anything already on the Tyan s2880, the Tyan s4880 will have full PCI-X onboard on two sockets and not just the earlier forms of implementing it. Tyan has no specs up for the s4880 yet, pics must be of a reference or very early testbed release board.

Link to s2880 spec summary, will let them speak for themselves as to the rest:

http://www.tyan.com/l_japanese/products/html/thunderk8s.html

John.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2003
    Geeky1 wrote:
    There will never be 64 bit PCI graphics cards, for the reason that thrax stated.

But I do need an AGP slot... If you think I'd use this as a server, you're insane. I'd use it as a desktop :crazy:. I'd have to run W2K/2k3 Advanced Server, but still... :D

Geeky in case you have not noticed NONE of the dual opterons with pci-x have agp slots. Servers don't need agp. The built in vga is fine for what a server was meant for. For desktop playing/gaming they have chipsets with AGP and dual opterons.... and no pci-x that I have seen.

I have learned I can easily live without agp slots but not 64bit pci-x or 64/66 anyway. I would rather have a turbo charged disk subsystem then video.

Tex
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I know that Servers don't need AGP slots. But like I said, I wouldn't use this board for what it was intended for, either. I don't need a server. I could use a 4 CPU desktop, though... :D