Computer Boot Issue

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Usually when booting, my fan engages on a sort of "medium" volume, then the processor blips and the boot begins. Lately, however, the fan has been engaging on what I have come to call "Maximum Turbo Overdrive" volume. Furthermore, the processor does not blip, the boot does not begin;
Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes for the processor to blip and the computer to boot, sometimes I have to restart the computer using the power button or even turn everything off, turn off the plug and then restart everything, then wait 5 or so minutes in order to get the "boot-blip".

Occurs on both soft and hard boots.

Any ideas on what is causing this... boot-lag-fan-overdrive?

Specs;
Intel Pentium D 2.66GHz

2x DDR2 512MB Single Channel RAM

nVidia GeForce 7200 SE

NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA-8TRC410M-NF Motherboard

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    It's probably a dying power supply.
  • edited February 2008
    That would be weird, my older computer is -very- slightly less powerful and lasted 4-5 years with no such problems, this one is only around a year old.
    edited February 2008
    Power supplies can die at any time. It is the most-worked component of any in a PC.
  • edited February 2008
    Okay.

You guys have told me it's probably a CPU problem.
    I've also had suggestions of a short causes by something being improperly set into it''s slots, or metal on the motherboard. Alternatively it could be a RAM issue.

Which do you think is most likely?
    If it's a CPU problem, it could get expensive to fix =/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    You guys have told me it's probably a CPU problem.
    For most of us here at Icrontic, endeavoring to use precise terminology, 'CPU' means Central Processing Unit - the "processor." Do you mean 'computer' when you write 'CPU?' I don't see anywhere we we advised you that there was something wrong with your processor.

Thrax was telling you that the power supply (PSU - power supply unit), the internal box with the power outlet on the back, has probably gone bad. Sometimes they do that - after five years or five days.
  • edited February 2008
    Ah, indeed. I made a typo; I intended to write "PSU" not "CPU."
    Apologies for your confusion (and mine.)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    When it fail to start, does the Caps-Lock thing work ?

See this thread,
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=592347#post592347

As mentioned if the system behaves like this, the cause of the problem might be the PSU.

Check the PSU power voltage rails, 3.3V, 5V and 12V, using an multimeter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

How To Test Your PSU's Voltage Rails With A Multimeter?

Also it could be failing motherboard capacistors.

Clean the computer with canned air.
    "Do not use the Vacum cleaner, because it will destroy it .. ESD".

Reapply the CPU "Thermal Compound", and hope for the best.

Look for bad caps on the motherboard.
    http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=31
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
  • edited February 2008
    Well, I went to buy a canister of air today and I was basically told "You don't need it, use a vacuum cleaner and a paint brush." by the staff.

Fail.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Who told you that? That's a terrible idea!

It was proly the same teenagers who are trained to tell you that nothing will work properly without Monster Brand Cables.

I hope you didn't let them stop you from buying the can of air...

Sorry for intruding... that kind-of 'customer service' is a petpeeve of mine...

Carry on...
  • edited February 2008
    None in stock anyway, I'll try elsewhere.
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, vaccuum cleaners create a <i>ton</i> (Relative to a PC's preferred amount) of static electricity by inhaling charged dusts, pollens, hair and dander over the plastic. You surely would've fried something.
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, vaccuum cleaners create a ton (Relative to a PC's preferred amount) of static electricity by inhaling charged dusts, pollens, hair and dander over the plastic. You surely would've fried something.
    I will not challenge you on the logic of that. With that said, I have been using vacuum cleaners (several models) on all my computer internals for years without once a problem. I have used them both in vacuum and blower mode. Usually, I use a small wet-dry workshop vacuum, but first I thoroughly clean the collection tank. I have reduction attachments that direct the air in a fine stream. Again, maybe this is potentially risky due to static electricity, but I have never experienced a problem in years of cleanings.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    While using a vacuum cleaner doesn't guarantee you'll fry anything. The potential is there due to the static build up. Using canned air is absolutely safe. The problem with the vacuum cleaner is the volume of air passing debris over the plastic tubing, which is where the static charge builds up. The the coiled spring that many vacuum's use in their tubing makes it even worse.

Now brushing over the entire thing with a paint brush to kick up the dust, that's asking for even more trouble.
    edited February 2008
    right. One should never use anything that touches the components to clean them, unless one is using a non-conductive electronics cleaning oil... which is a pain.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    When cleaning Pc's I use Q-tips and wear plastic gloves. I've never tried canned air. Wont that just blow all the dust into tiny spots and slits and you'll never get it out?
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Aye, we needed to clean the mobo with a combination of a headless vacuum and a brand new paintbrush to lift it off- The dust was <i>that</i> old >.<
    edited February 2008
    Wont that just blow all the dust into tiny spots and slits and you'll never get it out?
    No, that shouldn't happen unless you stop cleaning half way through the job.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    Have a look at these links,

Avoid Static Damage to Your PC
    Basic Concepts in ElectroStatic Discharge
    On-Line ESD Static Audit

Static Electricity can damage your computer

Electric Discharge (pdf file)
    How does a vacuum cleaner cause static electricity?
    What is Static?

PC Maintenance and Cleaning

You can also search the Internet for more information.
    Search on "ESD" or "Electric Static Discharge".

Basically you will have more knowledge then most people, after 30 minutes of reading.
    edited February 2008
    Alcohol and q-tips is for spot cleans only. Like if you have a button in your keyboard that's sticking, or if you need to remove some heat-gunk from your CPU. It's not good for general dusting.
    edited February 2008
    When dust travels in the air sucked through a vacuum cleaner it impacts on the pipe walls and other internal parts. These impacts generate static charges on the particles and on the pipe walls. If these parts are made from plastics or other insulating materials they can charge up and give static shocks. Rotating parts such as carpet beaters can also charge up through rubbing action. If the suction pipe has a metal coil and is not earthed, this can charge up and give quite an energetic spark.
    That corroborates what some of you posted here. Nonetheless, I will continue to use a vacuum cleaner with my PC cleaning tasks. You should know though, that I use a small 'shop vac' in the blower mode, and I always first clean out the collector tank and run air through the hose for a little bit before I apply the forced air to the computer.

I have killed computer components with static before - walking over to the computer, across a carpeted floor with a video card in my hand. I failed to carry the card in an anti-static bag and when I touched the computer case - SNAPP! Video card dead as a door nail. Since then, I always discharge static by touching the case frame before touching any parts.
  • edited February 2008
    Well, I have come to a conclusion; you were right, my PSU is slowly but surely dieing.
    On the now rare occasions I can boot the beast up, the keyboard gets no power from it's respective port. Mouse is still active, but I put a password on my account mere days before I lost keyboard control. Now I feel like kicking myself so hard in the face...

What I really need now is advice on rescuing my Data more than repairing my computer.
    edited February 2008
    Do you have reason to believe the files on the hard drive are damaged. A failing power supply and corrupted files are two different things. A power supply that fails catastrophically during the middle of a write operation to the hard drive could damage files, but you've only described difficulties in booting your computer. If the PSU is failing, replace it (easy), and your computer should run well again.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Have you got a spare PSU or one you can borrow?
  • edited February 2008
    Nope, I can buy one but not quite yet - need to get some money in.