New CPU- No display

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hai guys,

Just upgraded the PC downstairs from a 3.06GHz Celeron D to a 3.00GHz pentium D- it boots fine, we just get no image- Any ideas?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    Make sure the video card is seated properly. One time when I removed the heatsink from my FX in my other board, the video card wiggled loose a bit.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Will do, I thought it must be the video card, but we hadn't touched it- I'll double check now.
    edited February 2008
    It's not the video card :S I don't even get a message on the screen saying "no signal" when I turn it on.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    Try the motherboard cmos reset.

Does the Caps Lock led on the keyboard turns on/off when you hit the Caps-Lock key ?

Does the CPU fan spin up and stay there ?

If nothing happends, you need to replace the CPU again and perhaps upgrade the bios.

Also something that most ppl overlock, is that things might go bad because of ESD.

My adwise, is to clean out the kitchen dish bench, and work there "with no 110-230 Volt power connected".
    Also wear cotton clothes.

The bench is connected to the ground and when you touch it, you will discharge yourself.
    As low as 100 Volt can destroy your parts, and you can't even feel that low discharge.

Sign. ex Digital Equipment employee.
    edited February 2008
    There's no capslock light, but that may be becuse I don't think there is one, I'll check in a minute. The CPU fan does start and spin, and the CD drive makes various movement noises :tongue:

It's a brand new chip, so it's not been overclocked and the last one wasn't either. I've tried clearing the CMOS too- didn't work.
    edited February 2008
    If the Caps-Lock led doesn't work it means that the CPU ain't running.
    Check all power cable connections.
    edited February 2008
    All the power is connected properly
    edited February 2008
    Whacked in the old Celeron- Hello desktop ¬_¬ Could there be a compatability issue? It's a GA-8S649MF motherboard.
    edited February 2008
    If the bios doesn't support the CPU, it will not work.

Look for an bios update, and check the motherboad CPU compatibility list.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    GA-8S649MF motherboard
    That motherboard officially supports Pentium D. Given that your CPU HS fan spins, I don't think there is a problem with the CPU itself, but also given that you switched it back to the old CPU and the video works....that's just strange.

If it were my system, I'd pull it apart completely and just start over. Do you have another video card you could test with?
    edited February 2008
    Yup, my good ol' 6200SE TurboCache :P
    edited February 2008
    Is that Pentium D a new CPU or used? (Please don't tell me it was an "as-is" purchase from eBay!)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2008
    Harudath wrote:

It's a brand new chip, so it's not been overclocked and the last one wasn't either. I've tried clearing the CMOS too- didn't work.
    edited February 2008
    Check all the CPU pins, and bios version.

Then as Leonard mentioned, reinstall it again and see if it works this time.
    Otherwise you need to send it in for RMA.

It happends that the CPU doesn't function properly, when new.
    edited February 2008
    pins are fine, I took a close look- I'll update the BIOS, since that's not been done in 2 years :D It's a brand new chip from www.amazon.co.uk. the CPU did have a mark on it that looked like it had been either bashed or used, although it was said to be new. If the BIOS update doesn't work we'll RMA it.
    edited February 2008
    I had wondered why a motherboard would recognize a Celeron D but not a Pentium D. I did some research and learned that the Celeron D 3.06GHz was manufactured with both the Smithfield and Presler cores, 90nm and 65nm respectively. Your Pentium D 3.00GHz is a Presler core. It's a Pentium D 930, correct?

It makes sense now. Your motherboard's BIOS is current enough to detect the Celeron D Smithfields and Pentium D Smithfields (D8XX series), but not the 65nm chips (Pentium D9XX series).

Good chance a BIOS update will fix this. BTW, Pentium D's overclock like crazy. Look at my systems 2 and 3 in signature. They run hot but are very good performers. They aren't in the same league as Core 2 Duo, but overclocked they are very snappy.
    edited February 2008
    Awesome news- current BIOS: AWARD MODULAR BIOS v6.00PG. Looking for an update has proved difficult, after looking online someone with a similar problem was looking for the same BIOS update and was directed to this: http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/83/83323.htm However this looks like it's exactly the same one- HALP >.<
    edited February 2008
    Anyone know if that's the right thing to get?
    edited February 2008
    Sorry to bump, but we kinda need the upgrade up and running as my mum has college work to do and the Celeron is making it about as slow as doing it by hand :P
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    Well....Why don't you try it?
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    the Celeron is making it about as slow as doing it by hand :P

..not to troll, but I have one Celeron 2.4 Ghz..and it is fast. Granted your Celeron(3.06Ghz??) should be even faster,but perhaps your processor comes from different family.....just sayin' :cool:
    edited February 2008
    256KB of Cache running Vista and alot of IE browsers and word documents ¬_¬ It's not gunna be smoothe
  • edited February 2008
    Actually this problem occurred to me this morning and it was the CPU that died. I'm going to send back the CPU to shop for replacement.
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know where I can get an update? Everywhere I look is very non-specific and/or totally useless
    edited February 2008
    Bump ><
    edited February 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    Awesome news- current BIOS: AWARD MODULAR BIOS v6.00PG. Looking for an update has proved difficult, after looking online someone with a similar problem was looking for the same BIOS update and was directed to this: http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/83/83323.htm However this looks like it's exactly the same one- HALP >.<

Sorry to bump again, I feel like a total tard but does anyone know if this is the right driver? My dad just got back from a business trip and would like to get the processor installed :tongue:
    edited February 2008
    :nudge: anyone?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    the mobo manufacturer doesn't have bios support on their site for the board?
    what brand and model number is it?
    edited March 2008
    GA-8S649MF, and it's not made by gigabyte (not listed on their site) and it's not listed on fujutsu-siemens (where we got the original PC from).
    edited March 2008
    If we can't get this fixed then my dad's going to take it back, I need to get it working within the next day or so or it's going back and it'll be ~6 months before he'll get round to upgrading again, cuz he'll need to get a new board and a core 2 at the least.