- PCIe video, mid-range card maximum
- two hard drives, non-raid
- probably one PCI IDE card
- one optical drive
- networked - Ethernet or 802.11x
- overclocking - pretty heavy, I generally overclock CPUs 1GHz or more
- mid-range overclocking motherboard
- must have an EPS 12v 8-pin connector, or EPS 12v 2X4-pin connector

I've got two PSUs, which appear to be going bad - random, instant computer shutdowns in both cases. (both computers on on UPS's, so it's not power outages causing the problems) I need to replace the PSUs in Systems 2 and 5 in signature.

I'd like a reasonable expectation of a 3+ year life span. The computers in which the PSUs will be installed will be upgraded gradually, but I don't see power requirements going up very much.

I want to keep the purchase price to no more than $100. This will probably have to be an online vendor purchase. In my shopping area, CompUSA closed and BestBuy's selection is very poor and their prices are crap.

Here's what seems attractive so far: OCZ500SXS StealthStream and HiPer HPU-4M630.

Please give me your opinions and recommendations.

Also, if you a lightly used, not-too-old PSU that fits my specifications and that you no longer need, I might be interested in purchasing it or trading for it. Deal Depot & Trading Post thread.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    The OCZ500SXS may be disqualified. I don't think it has an EPS 12v 8-pin connector or the 2X4-pin equivalent. Check me if I'm wrong. That would be too bad. That's an outstanding price for an OCZ 500W PSU.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Why is the EPS12v 8pin necessary? Most motherboards work with the 4pin aux.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Roger that....the OCZ 500 SXS does not.

Leonardo, you have a PM.
    edited February 2008
    Why EPS 12v? Overclocking stability. I have no empirical data to show it improves stability, but I believe it does. If anyone has data to show otherwise, I'd be very eager to read it. Always willing to learn.

Ryder - back atcha in just a second.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2008
    Leo, take a look at the Corsair VX550. Its an excellent mid-range PSU for the dollar. Very good rail stability and plenty of +12V output.
    edited February 2008
    Well gentlemen, thanks for your attention to my needs (ouch, that didn't sound right). Well anyway, thanks for paying attention to this thread. I've got two PSUs in early stages of failure, and have two new PSU replacements on the way: OCZ Modstream 780W and Corsair CMPSU-550VX.

Lemonlime - you and I independtly arrived at the same analysis concerning quality mid-range. OCZ took the nod fir high-end modular. (Can't wait to install that 780W modular bad boy!)

Budget gave way to better sense - power supplies that are top of the line quality that should do everything I could possibly require of them for years to come.

Again, thanks to those of you who assisted me!