Monitor blacks out during video play

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Just as the title says, there are a few videos that cause my monitor to periodically black out, come back and reset itself. I have no idea what's causing this. I've tried reinstalling the video card drivers, and taking out and reseating the card itself.

Here are my specs:

EVGA Nvidia 7800GS 256mb 8xAGP 3GDDR
Resolution is set at 1280x1024
Refresh rate set at 60Hz <----should this be higher? 75Hz is my max.
Color depth set at 32 bit color.

Attached is a DxDiag just in case anyone needed to see it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that prior to creating the DxDiag I ran the tests from the tool and they were all passed.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    How long has this video card been installed in your computer? How long has it been since you've cleaned dust and lint out of the computer? Your video card's heatsink/fan cooler might be overheating due to dust buildup.

Were there any software or hardware changes preceding the monitor blackouts?
  • edited February 2008
    Do you have dual monitors or TV out? Does this happen in windowed or full screen playback?

Can't see a videocard overheating playing movies myself.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited February 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    How long has this video card been installed in your computer?

About 2 months now I think.
    Leonardo wrote:
    How long has it been since you've cleaned dust and lint out of the computer? Your video card's heatsink/fan cooler might be overheating due to dust buildup.

1 month ago if I remember correctly.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Were there any software or hardware changes preceding the monitor blackouts?

No.
    rapture wrote:
    Do you have dual monitors or TV out? Does this happen in windowed or full screen playback?

Can't see a videocard overheating playing movies myself.

Single 19'' Flat Screen. I do have TV out but nothing is hooked up to it.
    edited February 2008
    Is it likely that videos would cause a video card to overheat? Unlikely, but please check your video card's fan when in operation to ensure it is spinning and that it has not come loose.
  • edited February 2008
    Does your monitor go blank when you play videos in a window or just in full screen?

Is it with all videos or just certain ones?
    edited February 2008
    Just certain ones. For example yesterday I was watching a video on Gametrailers.com about the game Too Human where someone was fighting a giant robot boss, and upon maximizing the video the monitor started acting screwy. Aside from that I remember watching a movie in windowed mode (can't remember what it was) and it was acting up then as well.
  • edited February 2008
    Fullscreen problems would make me think overlay settings.

If you're also having problems with windowed movies then maybe a codec problem? Have you installed any codec packages recently?
    edited February 2008
    Negative on the codec packages.
    edited February 2008
    Unfortunately Windows Media Player is the only one I have installed at the moment, so would an uninstallation & reinstallation remedy this?
    edited March 2008
    No one else eh?
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video card drivers? Also, do you perhaps have drivers installed from a previous video card?
    edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video card drivers? Also, do you perhaps have drivers installed from a previous video card?

I uninstalled all drivers associated with my old X1300Pro. All drivers are up to date with my current card. But I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I currently have. I can give that a shot and get back to you.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2008
    You'll all hate me for this but...it's not a power saving setting is it? When it goes off do move the mouse or anything then it comes back on?
    Sorry but the obvious has caught me out before now.
    edited March 2008
    bothered wrote:
    You'll all hate me for this but...it's not a power saving setting is it? When it goes off do move the mouse or anything then it comes back on?
    Sorry but the obvious has caught me out before now.

This sounds like what I just figured out:

I maximize the screen while the video is playing.
    As soon as the player sets itself to my screen size it freezes if I move the mouse even just a little bit. At this point I hit CTRL+ALT+Delete to get the player to minimize itself again.

What I did just now was set the Color Depth to 16-bit color in both my Display Porperties menu and a ResChanger program that came with my video card. Now the player can play whatever it is maximized in full screen mode. I'm happy that it's figured out, but I'm unhappy I had to degrade my color scheme just to watch a movie maximized :( Any ideas?
    edited March 2008
    So in short:

ResChanger with 8-bit color depth (minimal)
    Display Properties with 16-bit color depth (minimal)
    Videos play maximized

ResChanger with 16-bit color depth (medium)
    Display Properties with 16-bit color depth
    Videos play maximized

ResChanger with 32-bit color depth (maximum)
    Display Properties with 16-bit color depth
    Videos do not play maximized

ResChanger with 32-bit color depth
    Display Properties with 32-bit color depth (maximum)
    Videos do not play maximized

In case you're wondering, I'm able to independently change the color depth if I change it from the Display Properties before I use the ResChanger for a different setting. Is that bad?
    edited March 2008
    Do you have monitor software installed? Perhaps you are experiencing conflicting instructions between the monitor and the video card.
    edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Do you have monitor software installed? Perhaps you are experiencing conflicting instructions between the monitor and the video card.

Negative on monitor software. Plug and play with this computer and back with my now scrapped laptop.
    edited March 2008
    Just uninstalled the ResChanger and that didn't do anything...

It's funny because it'll play fine if I leave the mouse perfectly still, but the slightest movement with the mouse will make the screen back out and reset itself just like if you were to press the Auto Config button on your monitor but without the black out.

I aplogize for being repetative...
  • edited March 2008
    I have a same issue with this card just that while playing video the monitor will turn off (no signal from the card) and nothing will bring it back. Can this be that my power supply is to low? (I have a good quality 300W adapter ) - if so why it does not happen during playing video games or runing 3dMark06 which are more demanding i guess?
  • edited March 2008
    i use samsung 173p with magictune
    have pentium 2,8 ht
    1,5 GB ram
    intel board