Need to repair boot files - Windows 98

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hello, I was hoping someone with vastly more computer knowledge than I have would help me get my PC working again plz.
The PC has all my personal data on so I would love to be able to recover it.

I keep getting the following message and it won't boot up.

'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\sytem32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CDROM at the first screen select r'

I dont have the original setup CDROM, only the Packard Bell Recovery floppy disk. On using that disk I get the following.

'Starting Windows 98
RAMDRIVE 3.06 VIRTUAL DISK D:\
Loading SMART DRIVE
Set COMSPEC=D:\COMMAND.COM
Extracting MSTOOLS
Extracting TOOLS'

It then says'NEC Computer Recovery International' and takes me to a blue recovery screen with 3 options.
'Options 1 Standard System Restore' this option says it will delete my personal data.
'Option 2 Advanced Options - Windows and Smart Restore' this also says it will delete my personal data.
'Option 3' allows me to use a facility called 'fdisk'.

when I exit the screen it says

Exiting OEMSETUP
D:/

I'm lost someone please help.
regards
Prolapse

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I moved your post to its own thread so that your request for help won't get lost in the multi-page thread where it was before.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Do you know of anyone who lives near you that has a Win98 disc? I believe there isn't a difference between retail and OEM versions except for maybe the product key. Re-installing Win98 can be done pretty easily and non-destructively.

That being said, if you have a separate partition, spare hard drive, or a USB memory stick I would recommend backing up your data to that before doing anything. A Linux liveCD will help with this (Ubuntu is pretty easy to use) since you'll need an OS to move files.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    You will need the windows cd to repair your harddrive. Alternatively you can connect that harddrive to a second machine, backup all your data, then run the repair tools that came with the computer then copy your backed up data back.
  • edited February 2008
    Thanks for the help gents.

I have tried attatching the hard drive to another working pc with the ribbon cables (jumpers set to slave and the bad HD in the connection on the middle of the ribbon cable), but the computer that works didnt recognise the hard disk (it didnt show up as a drive when I click on 'My Computer')

I'm a bit comfused about whether I need a Windows 98 or Windows XP cd. I'm sure the computer had windows XP (there is also an XP sticker on the front) but when I put the rescus floppy in it says 'Starting Windows 98'
    Which original Windows CD do I need to get, XP or 98?

So basicly I get the Windows cd. With that I repair the start up part of windows and it should leave my personal data on the puter and just rewrite the windows stuff. (But safest to back up the personal data first with other programs/operating systems first.)
    edited February 2008
    Ok. If you're running Windows XP you need an XP install CD. The restore floppy is running a sort of DOS boot disk (made from Win98) because there's not really such a thing as an XP boot floppy.

You should be able to do a repair install using your XP install CD just fine. If your computer won't boot from the CD, see if the POST screen gives any option for selecting a boot device. If that doesn't happen, try going into your BIOS and changing the order of your boot devices.
  • edited February 2008
    Mertesn Thanx, but I didn't have an XP Cd with the puter. Will any XP CD work?
    edited February 2008
    Prolapse wrote:
    Mertesn Thanx, but I didn't have an XP Cd with the puter. Will any XP CD work?

The big difference is what type of product key it takes (OEM vs Retail). If your computer came with XP preinstalled you'll need to find an OEM version. If you upgraded to XP, a retail version will work.