Computer Startup Problem

Ivor121Ivor121 Greenwich, London
edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hi Newbie here with a problem, i have just installed a new graphics card and added more ram, but have noticed that my computer on startup, it starts to load up then goes off then start again it seems ok but takes longer to load up, Can anyone help Thanks Ivor :dunce:

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic! :) Have you updated your graphics drivers? Also, have you checked your RAM is compatible with your board?
  • Ivor121Ivor121 Greenwich, London
    edited February 2008
    Thanks Harudath, Yes i did (a couple of weeks ago) but i could try and update again
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Please state your computer specifications:

motherboard
    power supply
    video card (the old one and the new one)

Is this a name brand computer? If so, please specify the brand and model.
    edited February 2008
    Its a QTech Computer Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00Ghz - 3.01Ghz 1.00bb of ram how do i find out the rest of the info you ask for, sorry my nephew sometimes helps me but hes on holiday for a few weeks
    Found the Grapics card its a NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS with 256.0mb
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    The video card you posted - old one or the new one?

Right now, I'm leaning towards two potential causes of the problem:

1) the OEM (original equipment manufacturer - what was installed at the factory) PSU (power supply unit) is not powerful enough for the new video card, or
    2) the new video card was not installed correctly - specifically, that it may not have the proper power cable hooked up (if that type of card) and/or that the old video drivers were not uninstalled and the new video drivers were not installed

Can you address any of this? Concerning the the PSU: please remove the case side and tell us what it is printed on the side of the PSU, such as maximum rating and the amperage rating for the "+12v"

Quite often, off-the-shelf computers have low quality, minimum power PSUs (meaning cheap) that do not accommodate higher powered components.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Aye, I switched some graphics cards around without sorting the drivers properly and it would BSOD and everything. If it's not the PSU, make sure the card is in properly (sometimes they're a bitch to fit in) and then check out your drivers.
    edited February 2008
    Thank you both will check it out later on today and post results.
    :cheers3: Ivor